• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Recover Apps Using Clockworkmod

ivizzjohn

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
Hey, there.!
I've flashed a new rom. I already have my stock rom backed up through CWM.
Is there any way, i can recover my apps, messages, contacs from my old stock rom using CWM ?

My Phone is Samsung Galaxy Y Duos GT-S6102.

Please Help.

Thanks is advance..!!
:) :)

I replied to a visitor message via PM, but in case it helps other people here is my take on the problem:

In answer to your question, you can't generally recover apps and data directly from a CWM backup (but see comment on Titanium Backup Pro later). If you restore the backup it restores your old ROM as well.

The simplest thing to do is probably:

• Make another CWM backup of your new ROM (this won't overwrite the old one).
  • Restore your backup of the old ROM, which will restore the apps and data too.
  • When you have your old ROM back, make backups of your apps and data. I'd use Titanium Backup to back up apps and app data. The pro version can also back up your messages, but there are other apps you can use to back up messages & call logs if you prefer. Also back up your contacts to sd if not already synced with Google.
  • When you have everything backed up, go back into ClockworkMod and restore the backup of you new ROM.
  • Then boot back into your new ROM and restore the backups you just made of your apps and data.
Titanium Backup Pro (paid version) claims it can now restore individual apps and their data from ClockworkMod backups, but I've never tried this so can't say how well it works. That would be another solution. However, you should not attempt to restore system data this way - if you want to recover messages, contacts or call logs the longer way above would be safer (because these are saved as part of the data of a system app, which may not be compatible between ROMs, and I don't know how well the "restore from CWM backup" feature would cope with this).

Do not attempt to restore system settings from a different ROM - it's almost certain to cause problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones