• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recover files, contacts, data - shattered top screen and LCD screen.

westoz

Lurker
Sep 11, 2017
Hi all...

S10e as mentioned, no screen lock, 10 days old :( ... lost on highway from car bonnet (or hood, if you are from USA), run over by car tyres, but amazingly still works (was in a leather magnetic cover) but with no working screen obviously. Found using Find My Phone. Back cover intact. SmartSwitch installed before accident. At time of this post, the phone is still on, even after a week - thought the battery would have died by now.

PC running Win 10, Samsung drivers installed, detected phone in device manager after USB connect to native mobo port with no issues.

Kies 3 detects but won't connect - not compatible as I found out. SmartSwitch detects but won't interact beyond detection. Troubleshooting options in SmartSwitch all tried and failed.

Several recovery softwares ex Google tried, either not compatible with phone model or would detect but not interact.

Not saved to any cloud from November 2017 onwards which is the data I need. It could be the difference between my wife's imminent permanent residency visa being approved or rejected, as "together" photos are on the phone and are required for the immigration file...

Google searching exhausted.

I'm resigned to the possibility that I'm out of luck but thought I would try here in case any gurus have a possible answer.

If it was screen locked, pattern, PIN or password, you won't be able to get anything out of it with a computer, as that's for security. Not until it's unlocked somehow. You maybe able to get the glass and screen replaced by a service tech, but it would probably cost about $300-400.

Could try a USB type C DeX cable or adapter, and see if it will connect and show on a monitor or TV with HDMI. And maybe able to operate it with a keyboard or mouse.

FWIW I've got a Huawei phone with a USB adapter called MateDock, and as soon as it's plugged in the phone, it will display via HDMI or VGA on a monitor or TV, also has a regular USB port so can plug a PC keyboard and mouse in. And it can be unlocked this way, even if the phone's own screen is busted. Although the main idea of MateDock is so can use the phone as like a desktop PC.

I presume Samsung has something similar for S10, etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi... thanks for replying... phone is unlocked with no screen lock on phone, so that's two hurdles I don't have to jump. It's like I'm so close to a solution, a fully working phone in front of my face with the exception of no phone screen that I can directly interact with at this point in time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones