• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recover files from internal memory in recovery mode

Batroid

Lurker
Dec 17, 2014
Greetings,

I'm looking for help in the following scenario: some days ago I found that my Galaxy Note had rebooted, and got stuck at the Samsung logo. The phone has the stock rom, it is not rooted and is running Jellybean.
Recovering from this situation hasn't been possible. I tried:
- pulling the battery
- rebooting from recovery mode
- wiping cache partition.

I haven't tried a factory reset because the problem appeared as I was on vacation and there are some some photos I'd like to recover.

So, to try and recover the files I am accessing via ADB. I could successfully run adb pull, however it seems not all data came through.
I don't have /mnt visible, no DCIM folder, and sdcard or sdcard1 have no contents. I've attached the screenshot of the Android Device Monitor.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• NoteCapture.PNG
    NoteCapture.PNG
    149.4 KB · Views: 767
without having suitable software on the phone that can "share" the internal phone memory, you can't do it.
And as Nokia phones also prevent installing user-installable device drivers, such low-level software would be very difficult to write and install without circumventing the whole operating system's security model (normal apps have not access to all folders/directories/files, and even less so directly to the file system so that data recovery would be possible).

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thank you for the reply.

So after spending some time experimenting and reading about filesystems, ADB, sideloading, recovery mode (even went to a Samsung repair centre (they answered straight "no" regarding getting data from the internal memory)), I had to go with the factory reset.

So I answered 'yes' to all the warnings about losing all data, took a deep breath and waited...

Phone turns back on, usual out-of-the-box wizards etc, and then I start realising some options are the same as I had them... then I open the camera and notice a known picture in the gallery thumbnail... so, in a Christmas miracle, all my photos and personal files were NOT touched by the factory reset! It all lies inside /storage/sdcard0 and apparently this isn't touched by the reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones