1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Recover WhatsApp conversations

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by caleix, Feb 16, 2020.

1. caleix

caleix Lurker

I have a cell phone (Samsung J7 2016) that was formatted to be factory set. (without backing up in google drive whatsapp) As I read, in addition to being able to make a copy on drive, Whatsapp backups are made every day, and are saved in the SD. The fact is that in this phone they are not stored there, but in the internal memory of the cell phone, which, when formatted, erases everything.

Is there any way to recover that data?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

If you only had on-device backups and they were in internal storage, no, I'm afraid there is no chance of recovery. Not least because your internal storage is encrypted, and the reset will also have cleared the encryption key (so any data that might be recoverable are encrypted and you no longer have the key).

You may be able to recover stuff from group chats, because other people will have copies of those chats, but I'm not expert on this. But recovering data from your internal storage after a reset is highly unlikely to be successful (whatever the marketing of various apps will tell you).

MoodyBlues likes this.
  3. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Welcome to Android Forums, caleix! :)
    You're positive about this? Have you checked your Drive...just in case?

If you are sure, then I'm afraid that what @Hadron told you is correct. Sorry. :(