1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Recovering deleted photos

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Kie1981, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Kie1981

Kie1981 Lurker

Hi, I accidentally deleted a file from my SD card which contained some important photos. Is there a way I can recover them without a) rooting my device, b) paying for a service?

I tried a few different apps that seemed to have good reviews BUT..... the Mac and the Windows laptops cannot see my phone (Android file transfer can but not the apps because of mass storage not being enabled)

Any help would be gratefully received.

Kie.

Advertisement

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by sank23, Mar 10, 2019 (1 points)
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Use an SD reader and remove the SD from phone
    , because PC or Mac recovery software requires direct low-level file (mass storage) access to the storage media, which MTP doesn't allow.
    I've used Recuva(free version) to retrieve deleted files succesfully from storage devices.
    https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

lvt likes this.
  4. sank23

sank23 Lurker

When photos are deleted from SD card, the actual data of deleted photos are not erased from the card. However, when photos are deleted, the entry point of the photos are deleted from file table. That's why user is not able to access the data of photos. Android will also make the space of deleted photos available for new files. So it is highly possible that new files could write to the space of deleted photos, which will make deleted photos not recoverable.
    So it is very important to not use your phone to prevent new files to be written to the space of deleted photos. The best way to recover deleted photos on SD card is to use an android photo recovery software.

5. lvt

lvt Android Expert

I can confirm that Recuva really works if your computer can see the SD card using a card reader.

6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Try looking in the Google Photos website.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Unless the card's encrypted.

lvt likes this.
  8. lvt

lvt Android Expert

I hope it's not the case :/

9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Unless it's been formatted as internal you are probably ok.

That is, as long as they are on the actual SD card and not in /sdcard (internal).

10. baizhou

baizhou Newbie

First make sure the deleted photos saved on sd card not being overwritten by new data. Then you can use Samsung data recovery to help you recover them back. Actually, it's easy and safe.

Samsung Galaxy J7 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy J7 Plus release date was October 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 13MP camera, 4GB RAM, processor, and 3000mAh battery.

October 2017
Release Date
Reviews