• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

recovering Photos from encrypted phone

tramachine

Lurker
Dec 29, 2017
My Father was finally forced to upgrade his phone when the screen stopped registering touch. The problem is that he had taken several photos and didn't back them up :\ normally it wouldn't be a problem to pull the photos off however his phone had to be encrypted because of his work. Now I am stuck that when you boot the device it wants his encryption passcode but we cant put it in since the touchscreen no longer works. The computer also can,t access it due to the encryption. I tried replacing the screen but it appears it's not a problem with the digitizer but that it's on the motherboard itself, so the fixing the screen to put in the passcode is a no-go.

any ideas how to get through the encryption to recover the pics?

Retrieving those photos at this point isn't a viable option. It's hard enough to get photos off a phone's internal storage even when it's not encrypted, consumer recovery utilities are a hit-or-miss solution to begin with. There are commercial services, like DriveSavers, that have very good track records on retrieving data off phones as they will dis-assemble the phone and can work directly on the NAND flash chip itself, but you're going to be spending a lot (in the thousands of dollars) for the service.
Maybe write this off to experience and from now on going forward use an app like the Google Photos app, which will automatically back up his photo library into his online Google account.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones