1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Recovery 2.1.0.5 broke my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tismo, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tismo

tismo Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    I was using rom manager recovery clockwork 3.x.x.x and since it wont flash any zips because there not edified, I went to xda developer site and found a an older recovery file 2.1.0.5 that I updated in the bootloader. Now the latter version wont flash anything and I keep getting this error when flashing anything.

assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot")
    E: error in /sdcard/MIUI-evo-1.1.1.28-singned.zip
    (status) 7
    installation aborted.

Am I screwed?????

My wife has another evo same version. could I use hers to help with anything?

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    How old is your phone? Is it a hardware version 0004? If you got it in the last two or three months, you probably have newer partition information, in which case, that recovery (which I'm guessing you meant is 2.5.0.1) will not work. You need to flash Clockwork 2.6.0.1, which will work with all phones, and all flashable zips. You can get it here.. Follow the instructions in that link to flash it.

Once you're done, and you're back in Android, you should verify that you didn't mess anything up, such as your wimax RSA keys. It's been known to happen to some people who have used CW 2.5.0.1 (or older) when they shouldn't have. Install the terminal emulator from the market if you don't have it. Open it, and type "su" without quotes, then enter. Type "grep RSA /dev/mtd/mtd0" without quotes. You'll see several lines of output, but the most important are these last two:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

If you don't have those two lines, you have a problem. If you get a permission denied error, you have a problem with root. If it tells you it can't find grep, go install busybox from the market.

3. tismo

tismo Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    OMG I love you man in very manly non homo way. you saved my ass.
    I checked the RSA keys and they are still there. What else should I check just to make sure?

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    If that all works, then you're fine. Anything else it could have broken would either be rather apparent or at least easily fixable. So you're good :).

Tags: