• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RECOVERY] Amon Ra v3.11 (1/3/12)

Looks like there is a update to everyone's favorite recovery. Here is a link to the original thread at XDA and a link to the v3.11 file. Enjoy!

Amon Ra Style Recovery for Supersonic - xda-developers

Amon Ra v3.11 <--- Download Here

1.download the file.
2.rename the file so that it is only named PC36IMG. make sure not to add ".zip" to the name as windows hides extensions.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.
(From: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html)

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
I have added directions to the OP ;)

It's hard to add directions for different setups but if your sdcard is partitioned, then checking sd-ext is a must.

But when I make a nandroid, I check everything anyways but that's me and a few others.

It's nice having the compressed backup now with 3.11.

Thanks for the write-up:D

Upvote 0
It's hard to add directions for different setups but if your sdcard is partitioned, then checking sd-ext is a must.

But when I make a nandroid, I check everything anyways but that's me and a few others.

It's nice having the compressed backup now with 3.11.

Thanks for the write-up:D

WOW, it took forever to make a compressed Nandroid, but its about 200MB smaller than my others!:D

Upvote 0
I haven't made any compressed nands with this recovery yet. I'll have to give it a try.

@ Andy, have you restored any compressed nandroids yet?
Just curious if there are any bugs with the nand compression.

Nope I haven't made or restored a nandroid, as of yet. It's about time for roms to be updated, so I'm sure I will be nandroiding soon:p

Anyone else?

Upvote 0
I haven't made any compressed nands with this recovery yet. I'll have to give it a try.

@ Andy, have you restored any compressed nandroids yet?
Just curious if there are any bugs with the nand compression.

I did a compressed backup last night and wow, it took a long time:eek: So make sure you have a good charge before doing or plug the phone into the charger and charge while doing the compressed backup.

It was about 200mb difference for me 700mb regular backup, 500 compressed;)

Upvote 0
ok I am trying to put Amon Ra v3.11 on my phone. I have an older version. As of today my computer does not recognize the phone. I have re install HTC drivers. I am rooted, never had a problem until today.
The only thing that is different on my computer is that I am using kaspersky internet suite. I did disable Kaspersky and tried but no go.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I also do not have a card reader on this laptop.
Thanks
Jo

Sorry if this was a double post.

Upvote 0
ok I am trying to put Amon Ra v3.11 on my phone. I have an older version. As of today my computer does not recognize the phone. I have re install HTC drivers. I am rooted, never had a problem until today.
The only thing that is different on my computer is that I am using kaspersky internet suite. I did disable Kaspersky and tried but no go.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I also do not have a card reader on this laptop.
Thanks
Jo

is your sd card mounted on your phone? does it charge when the usb is plugged? do you have another cable you can try?

you can always use dropbox to get files onto your phone.

Upvote 0
Thanks
Jo

Or you can download the file directly to your phone.

I've been rooted for a 1 1/2 years and I believe I've transfered 2 roms to my phone. There shouldn't be any reason to hook up the phone to the computer, but that's just me

Reactions: jo1020
Upvote 0
I have just updated to the 3.11 version. I am currently (like just started) doing a compressed nandroid backup. I plan on doing a restore with it as to be able to give Granite and others some insight of how it restores. Not sure of how long all this will take but I'll keep y'all posted.

My 2 compressed restores worked as they should. No troubles here :)

Upvote 0
Size difference

Uncompressed 731.69 (boot,system,data,ext)
Compressed 486.77 (boot,system,data,ext)
Both nandroids were done this morning.

Andy has stated "for the record" that both of his compressed nandroids have restored with no issue. Thanks Andy for that heads up.

I am Now Preparing to do a restore on mine. Lets see if my results are the same. No reason to think they wont.

UPDATE: Everything Restored Fine. So I hope this helps answer some questions.
Do note I have been doing my chores around the house as well so am not really sure of how long the whole process takes. Either way though having a compressed nandroid is sweet.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
I'm cooling a little bit on the new Amon RA. I've had two issues while using it...

Last week, I restored a MikG nandroid backup. It restored just fine, but when I booted up, the lockscreen didn't display so I couldn't do anything. I got a text while trying to figure out what was going on, and I briefly saw the launcher selection screen that displayed GoLauncher and HTC Sense but I wasn't able to select anything and when I closed my text notification, it went away and I was stuck at the same screen. I tried rebooting into recovery and wiping cache and dalvik and everything else I could think of but to no avail. I ended up just flashing a clean install of MikG 3.0 and everything was working as normal again.

Last night I decided to restore an old backup of Deck 1.3d. Again, it restored just fine, but when I booted up, it gave me the "Touch Android to Start" just like it would when starting up the ROM for the very first time. I logged into my google account and all my apps and everything were still loaded up, so I guess it just lost my google account login? Anyway, I thought the weirdness had passed, but I tried to run some market updates and I kept getting force close issues after trying to run any updates. I tried fixing permissions, clearing market data and finally got fed up and just did a fresh install.

I'm not sure what exactly could be causing this, but I am diligent about following wiping procedures and for all the weird quirks I see a lot of people post about, I pretty much never have any issues, so I'm not sure where the fault for these issues lies. But I certainly never had a single issue while running Amon RA 2.3. I will give the new version one more strike (three and you're out) but I don't feel as comfortable with it as I did with the uber-reliable 2.3. I definitely like saving wear and tear on my volume and power button, but at the end of the day, I need my recovery to work.

Upvote 0
I'm cooling a little bit on the new Amon RA. I've had two issues while using it...

Last week, I restored a MikG nandroid backup. It restored just fine, but when I booted up, the lockscreen didn't display so I couldn't do anything. I got a text while trying to figure out what was going on, and I briefly saw the launcher selection screen that displayed GoLauncher and HTC Sense but I wasn't able to select anything and when I closed my text notification, it went away and I was stuck at the same screen. I tried rebooting into recovery and wiping cache and dalvik and everything else I could think of but to no avail. I ended up just flashing a clean install of MikG 3.0 and everything was working as normal again.

Last night I decided to restore an old backup of Deck 1.3d. Again, it restored just fine, but when I booted up, it gave me the "Touch Android to Start" just like it would when starting up the ROM for the very first time. I logged into my google account and all my apps and everything were still loaded up, so I guess it just lost my google account login? Anyway, I thought the weirdness had passed, but I tried to run some market updates and I kept getting force close issues after trying to run any updates. I tried fixing permissions, clearing market data and finally got fed up and just did a fresh install.

I'm not sure what exactly could be causing this, but I am diligent about following wiping procedures and for all the weird quirks I see a lot of people post about, I pretty much never have any issues, so I'm not sure where the fault for these issues lies. But I certainly never had a single issue while running Amon RA 2.3. I will give the new version one more strike (three and you're out) but I don't feel as comfortable with it as I did with the uber-reliable 2.3. I definitely like saving wear and tear on my volume and power button, but at the end of the day, I need my recovery to work.

Were both the Nandroids created on 2.3? or just the Decks? I don't really have any old nandroids. I usually delete them after a month. Most do to the fact that I have a couple of updates with my programs by that time. I am curious if there are issues restoring from other versions? like 3.08

Upvote 0
Were both the Nandroids created on 2.3? or just the Decks? I don't really have any old nandroids. I usually delete them after a month. Most do to the fact that I have a couple of updates with my programs by that time. I am curious if there are issues restoring from other versions? like 3.08

I honestly can't remember. Like I said I'm going to stick with this version for now and I am going to try and make some newer backups that were definitely made with the new version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones