• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recovery is done

getitnowmarketing

Android Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2010
Recovery for breakout is done. There are a few things a couldn't add at this time as the kernel source isn't out. Pantech seems to have used a rather strange proprietary method of switching the usb product id which is what signifies the usb mode ie. M(edia) T(ransfer) P(rotcal), mass storage, diag, modem mode, and adb enabled. As it is now I can't get it switched out of usb mtp mode in recovery. What this means is using adb shell and mounting the sdcard as mass storage in recovery doesn't work. Also the option under developer menu to add su & superuser isnt enabled as I didn't have enough room in the 6mb space for recovery to add it. All thats needed for that is to lzma compress the kernel once the source is out. Other than those items the recovery functions beautifully in everything else. Also worth noting is pantech left fastboot wide open ... OOPS!!! To access fastboot use adb reboot bootloader. You can then flash items with fastboot flash boot boot.img etc. The fastboot driver is the standard google one with usb product id 1801 and fastboot does not use the pantech drivers. This fastboot method will work on a non rooted phone and you can fastboot flash on a recovery (then flash su & superuser.zip) or unsecured boot.img and instantly have root.

I'll leave it up to the breakout users to make some roms now. Happy flashing!!!

Download for recovery is in the all in one recovery thread in my developer section here. Use the scripted zip install method. Recovery is named recovery-ra-apache-3.08-gnm.img.

Reactions: IndyRoadie
I flashed recovery, installed the stock pre-update image and then tried to update. No luck. I then went back to recovery and did a full wipe/factory reset. It still won't update.

So I think "maybe it needs the stock recovery". But when I try to flash the stock recovery image, it hangs on the sending part. It won't flash the new or stock recovery image anymore. Does anyone have any ideas? Am I missing a step somewhere?

Thanks in advance,
Iam13013

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones