• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recovery Issues?

ok, so ive discovered that my HTC Desire 510 is now in a state of crashing and boot looping. it will crash, hard reset, boot, and after about a minute, it will crash and repeat... when i try to load the recovery (not rooted, stock ROM and Recovery), i am met with the red triangle with an exclamation mark, and nothing. it will just sit on that screen forever. i tried running a manual hard reset through the bootloader, but no results. attempted to unlock the bootloader, no results. cmd will state that process has been completed, but once it loads to recovery, again, it doesnt work, and the bootloader still shows locked. i cant install and flash a custom recovery, because of the unlocking issue with the bootloader...... please help!!

Reactions: blaqueknight
Hello Shane37664. Sorry for the late reply. I don't know exactly why you are crashing and boot looping, but I suggest you reinstall the RUU for your phone from http://www.htc.com/us/support/rom-downloads.html. If you see the red triangle with the exclamation mark, just hold the Up volume button, while holding it tap the Power button and it should take you into the stock recovery.

After you install that RUU, I'd like to help you with unlocking the boot loader. I'd like to know the exact steps that you take to unlock it and where you run into trouble. Peace

Upvote 0
It would help if you provided a bit more data and explained your situation more clearly.

Firstly, what is the error message from the RUU? That is what will tell us why the RUU is failing (and without that there's no way we can help with that).

Secondly, I don't understand the rest of what you are saying: I get that you've no space (though "zero" is hard to achieve, so that's a little odd), but the rest I don't follow: I think you might be trying to uninstall built-in apps, but it's not wholly clear because any apps you install are "installed in the internal storage" so that first part is confusing. But you can't uninstall built-in apps without root, and on an HTC even root won't be enough: you'd also need to use ADB while in a custom recovery or else gain S-Off in addition to root. But also the built-in apps live in the /system partition, whereas your stuff lives in the /data partition, so removing built-in apps won't solve a problem with lack of space. You need to work out what is causing that instead.

If your phone is working properly then a factory reset will certainly create space, but it's a blunt instrument. Better to work out what is using space that you don't need and get rid of that. You could use an app like DiskUsage to work that out, but you'll need to create some space before you can install any apps: clearing caches, disabling built-in apps that you don't use, uninstalling any of your apps you don't need, these are things that will free up space. I said "if your phone is working properly" because 0kB free is very unusual, and so I can't rule out there being a more serious problem (i.e. hardware) that you won't be able to fix - but hopefully not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones