• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root recovery mode, drivers, and more problems. HELP

I guess I mucked my phone up pretty good. I want to give the full history so that you have as much information as possible.

I had MIUI ROM when it started messing up. So I wanted to get to any ROM. I could not get the phone to be recognized by ODIN in download mode.

I posted on another forum and someone points me to heimdall ROM which made my captivate stock and found some drivers that would work (but not the officially samsung drivers. The driver was called Gadget Serial) but unfortunately I had no service and noticed the Baseband version says unknown.

I wanted to try to get a new modem. But heimdall also unrooted my phone. So I tried rooting my phone but I cannot get into recovery mode (I tried all button combinations and when i use adb reboot recovery it hangs at the AT&T world phone screen) and odin3 still does not recognize my phone in download mode (it recognizes it when its on)

Lastly I think the main issue is drivers. When I uninstall the driver that worked from Heimdall and let windows find the driver it fails. I downloaded it manually but still tries to download a different driver and fails. The name of the device shows SAMSUNG_android while the phone is fully on and Gadget Serial while the phone is in download mode.

I am open to any alternative solutions as long as I can get my phone in working condition (and I am really trying to avoid a jig)

I know this is long but if anyone can help please do and I will answer any questions

FIRMWARE: 2.3.4

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones