• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Recovery mode question

One more quesion, how do I know my eris is rooted :S I read something about having superuser? I don't know what that is either lol :x

You can't put a custom recovery onto a phone in which the rooting process has not already succeeded (if only partially). If you put a custom recovery on there, then you are rooted.

Tell ya what.

Why don't you:

1) Power off your phone, and then turn it back on by holding down the Send and End buttons simultaneously (until the screen comes on). Then, write down the first two lines that you see in the display, and transcribe them verbatim into a post here in this thread.

2) Then, get your phone rebooted into the normal OS (you might need to pull the battery from step #1), and tell us what the "Software number" is reported at

Settings -> About phone -> Software information -> Software number.

3) For extra credit, have a look at this post, and tell us whether you think you might have root or not, or whether you can get root if you are not already rooted. We'll tell you our honest opinion too.

Deal?

erisuser1

Reactions: Flames92
Upvote 0
Well I did the first thing you told me once already and it redid the whole process that I thought was turning my eris into a booted eris. And it redid the whole process.

PB00100 XC ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-1.49.2000 (PB0010000)

Thats what it said when I did it again.

The software number is 2.19.605.1

I get extra credit [: According to that website I am rooted :p ty btw but I'm still confused as to what the super user is?

Upvote 0
Well I did the first thing you told me once already and it redid the whole process that I thought was turning my eris into a booted eris. And it redid the whole process.

PB00100 XC ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-1.49.2000 (PB0010000)

Thats what it said when I did it again.

The software number is 2.19.605.1

I get extra credit [: According to that website I am rooted :p ty btw but I'm still confused as to what the super user is?

You are indeed rooted! That's the good news!

The most important thing about what you have done so far is the 1.49.2000 "S-OFF" bootloader - that is the thing which unlocks your phone completely.

You didn't mention whether or not you installed the Amon_RA recovery. Did you get a screen with a menu in green text when you tried the (Vol-Up+End/Power) startup, or instead did you see a screen with a little green android in the lower right hand corner, and a yellow exclamation mark in a white triangle in the upper left-hand corner?

[Edit]

Wait a sec - I re-read you post. I see the part about "did it again". That sounds like you pressed a button which took you back into HBOOT mode, and you went through the re-rooting process all over again. Well, if you had a custom recovery, it's gone now, but that's OK, it's easy enough to get it back.

(BTW, note that the instructions that I gave you - press Send+End simultaneously - would have taken you to FASTBOOT mode, not HBOOT mode - you pressed a different key when you were in FASTBOOT mode, and that took you into HBOOT mode, which reloaded the Root-ROM)

In the meantime, boot up your phone, mount the SD card to the PC, and change the name of that PB00IMG.ZIP file in the root of your SD card so that it won't (accidentally) re-root your phone again

Upvote 0
Well when I redid it idr whether I pressed the send + off button or send + vol- button. But I haven't downloaded that other thing yet, do I download it then just put it right into my sd card like I did previously? Also, when I both the boots (oops [:) I got a screen with green text both times. Other than that file that I had to put onto my sd card I didn't load anything else so idk whether or not I had a custom recovery :S

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/80293-how-root-w-mac-osx.html

Note a few things about the above post:

1) No drivers are installed on the Mac (good news!)

2) There is a picture in the first post in that thread which shows you what the menu of the Amon_RA recovery looks like. The background image might be a little different, but you will see the white text at the bottom of the screen which identifies it, and shows the version number.

Please read that entire post carefully. You should be able to recognize the steps you have already done... and also notice that there are two different methods given for installing the Amon_RA recovery. I think the one that I give instructions for in that thread are easier.

eu1

Reactions: Flames92
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones