1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Recovery mode won't work and introduction

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rloverload, Jan 3, 2012.

1. rloverload

rloverload Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Hi, I wanted to introduce myself as I've been lurking on this forum about a week now and used the information on here to successfully root my first Android phone. I'd like to extend my thanks to all the developers, testers and posters of that information for making the process as easy for a neophyte like myself as possible. That being said, I've reached a point where my limited experience with the use of root has led me to seek advice from the members of this forum in hopes of resolving my current phone issue.

The ADB/SDK download and setup was relatively easy, just a little problem with the path variable setting hung me up for a little while but the automated download finished that task for me and I think it's working correctly as I pushed the plague kernel to the sdcard with the command terminal successfully, then I deleted most of the bloatware in ShinySide's thread listed here (460445-list-apps-safe-remove) using the free version of Root Browser with no problems at all, I've backed up everything prior in Titanium Backup, but now I've got an issue when trying to flash into recovery with Clockwork ROM Manager.

No matter how I try to flash into recovery state, either downloading the zip file from a mobile browser and then sending it to CMR from there, finding it in Root Browser and selecting the flash option to send it to ROM Mananger, my Esteem shuts down, restarts, shows the "top-open-box-with-arrow-pointing-to-the-Android-in-front-of-it" icon for a moment, then the screen cuts to black, the same icon reappears, a progress bar appears for just a brief moment underneath the icon, then the box and arrow disappears and an exclamation point enclosed by a triangle replaces the box and arrow behind the Android figure. That screen will then stay on for a while, then the phone will reboot again back to its last state with no changes in the kernel or ROM or anything that I can tell. Even when I wipe data before flashing in Titanium backup I still get this recovery failure. I've tried the Plaugue kernal, Gingersteem ROM, and even the Root & Recovery AIO all with the same results described above and no changes to the phone. I'm on SW version MS910ZVB and all the zips I'm trying to flash into recovery are located in the /sdcard/_ExternalSD path of my file system. As of yesterday I've also noticed my "home" and "magnifying glass search" icons at the bottom of the screen have started to only vibrate my phone when touching them instead of sending them to the home screen and bringing up a search option respectively. The home option that replaces the blue applications option when you press the latter still works though and I have no idea what has caused this change to happen or if it's connected to my rooting, deleting of bloatware, or failed flash attempts. Should I try and restore to an un-rooted factory recovery state and start again from square one or is there something I'm doing wrong at this point and haven't tried yet that will help me flash these kernel's or ROM's that anybody can help direct me to try? Thanks for any help any of you can offer in advance and thanks for the great repository of knowledge this forum provides, I greatly appreciate it all.

Advertisement

2. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State
  3. rloverload

rloverload Lurker
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Thanks Nutmeg, I installed the CWM recovery after unzipping to my ADB laptop, nothing noticeable different, still had the exclamation mark when rebooting to recovery, then I installed the stock recovery, still no discernible difference, then reinstalled the CWM recovery and quick booted to recovery and just like that, CWM's recovery screen appeared and gingersteem went up as my ROM without a problem. Thanks for helping me to the end-zone on this. The home button and magnify glass search buttons still are vibrating but not functional to the touch but at this point I'm more than happy to figure that out at a later date and have fun recalibrating the battery for the ROM while waiting for an Ice Cream Sammich.

4. Jeyd02

Jeyd02 Android Expert
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    To help people, currently student
    US

Lol "sammich". nice touch, anyways as far as I know, rom manager stills doesn't have the lg esteem cwm. PG is getting it to be introduced so as of now, rom manager stills lack the esteem cwm and therefore it can't be flash nor recovery.

5. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State
    also you can disable haptic feedback

Tags: