• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RECOVERY] PhilZ Touch 6.19.2 [NEED TESTERS]

cooldudezach

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2011
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what you do with your phone. Please flash at your own risk
smile.gif

At long last, I am proud to give you guys what I've been keeping secret from everybody! There were a few bugs that took some hammering to get out, but this should be as bug free as you can get. :D

If you aren't sure what PhilZ recovery is, then you are in for a treat! It is based on CWM, with many additions to the source by Phil3759.

Some features:
- full touch + custom gui interface
- ability to set the time (so no more backups from the 70's)
- create a custom_rom.zip (which pulls from /boot and /system)
- you can toggle between /sdcard and /sdcard/0 (helpful when we get roms past 4.2)
- Plenty more

Stuff I fixed:
- access to both the internal and external sdcard
- USB Mass Storage access to the external sdcard
- selecting sdcards now say "internal sdcard" and "external sdcard" rather than "/storage/sdcard0" and "/storage/sdcard1"

PhilZ main thread, full feature list, install instructions
[01.03.2014]CWM 6.0.4.7 Advanced Edition / PhilZ Touch 6.19.2 (libtouch_gui 1.01) - xda-developers

Download links (make sure to download the latest)
[mod redacted] (download link points to a phishing site, use the xda link above)

How to install
Make sure you have fastboot + adb drivers already installed!
If you do not have CWM installed, follow these commands:
- Extract the recovery.img from the .zip you downloaded (keep the .zip in the same place)
- Open a command prompt where you extracted the file
- Enter these commands:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2][SIZE=3][SIZE=2](wait for the device to reboot. the screen will be black and the red light will be on)[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=2][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]sudo fastboot boot recovery.img
You will now be in a temporary recovery boot. Follow the install instructions for pre-installed CWM.

If you have CWM installed:
Install via sideload
- Select "Install Zip"
- Select "Install zip from sideload"
- From your computer, open a command prompt where the .zip you downloaded is located
- Execute the command: (replacing {filename} with the correct filename)
Code:
adb sideload {filename}
Install via sdcard

- Place the recovery.zip you downloaded onto your sdcard (internal or external)
- Select "Install Zip"
- Select "Install from {sdcard}" (either /sdcard for internal or /storage/sdcard1 for external)
- Navigate to where the zip is located and select it
- Select "Yes"

Congratulations! You have now installed PhilZ 6 Touch Recovery!

Thanks to
- Phil3759 for the awesome recovery!
- junkie2100 for his help understanding cwm, plus his work already done on cwm for the warp4g
- rbheromax for helping me with code stuffs
- Spz0 + krsmqn for being my guinea pigs :)

Last edited by a moderator:
: o this cwm is amazing...almost at a loss of words lol i mean come on options to use ext and int sd cards, a time and bettery display, a custom backup progress in mbs and cloning option, you can literally change all the visual settings, i could go on and on...i wish i had this recovery for all of my devices!!

I used the Android terminal dd command to flash.
Backup to ext was flawless, but the restore couldnt mount system so i formatted sys and it proceeded, although it mentioned something about restorecon not operating correctly and selinux. Also the screen timeout was going off randomly during backup and restore and not reacting to keys or touch although the haptic feedback was active while screen was off. Very very nice work, and thank you

Upvote 0
2nd attempt. When restoring from ext - after wiping, couldnt mount cache formatted and proceeded, but while restoring restorecon system. context errors, and the same error when restoring cache. Didnt fully restore as i am missing apps and call logs. And the screen blacking out and being unresponsive even though the option of screen time off is disabled.

Upvote 0
2nd attempt. When restoring from ext - after wiping, couldnt mount cache formatted and proceeded, but while restoring restorecon system. context errors, and the same error when restoring cache. Didnt fully restore as i am missing apps and call logs. And the screen blacking out and being unresponsive even though the option of screen time off is disabled.
Whatever the issue with mounting is, seems to be a rampant problem in cwm for all of the newer zte's. Best bet is to just wipe everything before a restore manually. Cache does have issues mounting after wiping it sometimes, but it's not unique to these devices. It's an android issue. Not sure exactly.

I'll contact phil about the timeout during backup/restore. You're saying you disabled it and it still blacks out?

Upvote 0
With newest one, GUI settings stay but time/date don't stick.
I wasn't referring to that, but I'll look into it. there are a few methods available to get time to stick, and I haven't really played with it.

I was referencing this:
Code:
also scared my pants off when doing the "wipe for new ROM install" said it formatted both SD 1 & SD 2.

Upvote 0
"Clean to install new ROM"
Ah, found it. I actually had no idea that option was there. I just manually format from the mounts menu. lol
I'll look into it, cuz that sounds scary about the sd0/sd1 thing.

Edit:
Aha, think I found it:
Code:
    // erase .android_secure from /sdcard or /storage/sdcard0
    erase_volume(get_android_secure_path());

// erase .android_secure from any secondary storage
It's looking for .android_secure on the sdcard locations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones