• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Recovery] Twrp v3 for Lg Aristo [metropc/t-mobile]

Just so there's no confusion, you're referring to the hold vol down and power then let go of power then press power after the LG logo right? If so, then no, it doesn't work, still goes to the white screen where it asks if I want to factory reset/erase. Of course using apps like Rom Toolbox to reboot into recovery works fine as usual.

Upvote 0
Just so there's no confusion, you're referring to the hold vol down and power then let go of power then press power after the LG logo right? If so, then no, it doesn't work, still goes to the white screen where it asks if I want to factory reset/erase. Of course using apps like Rom Toolbox to reboot into recovery works fine as usual.
Yes that's normal you should choose yes , yes then you should be inside twrp without wiping your data this is the fix i applied will wait for your test result

Upvote 0
whew, you scared me, I answered the first yes thinking it should just take me to twrp but then the second one came up too... decided to take a chance since you're saying it'll work and selected yes as well and it does work! Great job!

Oh, is there any way to encrypt the phone again and still be able to use twrp?

Upvote 0
whew, you scared me, I answered the first yes thinking it should just take me to twrp but then the second one came up too... decided to take a chance since you're saying it'll work and selected yes as well and it does work! Great job!

Oh, is there any way to encrypt the phone again and still be able to use twrp?
Thanks, you are only disable the data partition encryption so no need to worry.

Upvote 0
Yes that's normal you should choose yes , yes then you should be inside twrp without wiping your data this is the fix i applied will wait for your test result

Nice. Guys this is standard issue with LG since at least the G2 if not before. You have to trust the process. Accept the prompt to "factory reset". As long as you have twrp properly installed, its simply a back door to access custom recovery. Seems scary, but its all good.

Without custom recovery, yeah it resets. With custom recovery, it boots to twrp instead. Been doing this on lg's for years now.

Upvote 0
messi2050Yes that's normal you should choose yes , yes then you should be inside twrp without wiping your data this is the fix i applied will wait for your test result
Nice. Guys this is standard issue with LG since at least the G2 if not before. You have to trust the process. Accept the prompt to "factory reset". As long as you have twrp properly installed, its simply a back door to access custom recovery. Seems scary, but its all good.Without custom recovery, yeah it resets. With custom recovery, it boots to twrp instead. Been doing this on lg's for years now.

Never had an LG, good to know for future reference.

Upvote 0
Aimzzz, after flashing when white screen asks if youd like to reset say yes to both. This is the *1* i repeat *1* time you will enter twrp this way, from there go back to op and follow very very closely. (It says in op you say yes to both of those "white screens" :) Edit: if after saying yes both times and not booting to recovery then you have not properly installed recovery.

Messi,
Grabbing new recovery from op, battery low, report back with news in about 1 hour

Reactions: Jpsantos and aimzzz
Upvote 0
First off thank you very much messi for all you've done I just have one small issue if you or anyone can help me with. First off I'm rooted I can get into twrp I was even able to make a backup too. But for some reason I keep seeing the black screen on bootup with the triangle to lock bootloader can you help me with that I don't know if it gonna create a problem down the road

Reactions: messi2050
Upvote 0
I've flashed the no-verity-opt-encrypt.zip is it because I can't find the 2.1 version only the 3.0 is that why I keep seeing the black screen with the triangle to lock bootloader I don't have a problem flashing it but I can't seem to bypass it

No, that's just how Android is now if you unlock the bootloader of any device. It's just a warning. Doesn't affect anything though I must admit it's annoying we have to press a button to continue booting faster. My 6P just boots through without requiring a button press or extra long wait.

Upvote 0
Some key things to note about that screen, once rooted with twrp fastboot commands are stripped from the bootloader, any attempt at a cmd gives unauthorized action. If you dont flash the verity zip when rooting you could get stuck in the bootloader, it not allowing you to press power to continue and wont accept any commands. Also if you flash something that isnt compatable like stock boot img without flashing verity and twrp to decrypt (being pre rooted and decrypted and flashing stock boot.img) youll be left with the only option of kdz restore, unless you somehow boink download mode. Strange data encryption is.
Edited to include parenthesis :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some key things to note about that screen, once rooted with twrp fastboot commands are stripped from the bootloader, any attemp at a cmd gives unauthorized action. If you dont flash the verity zip when rooting you could get stuck in the bootloader, it not allowing you to press power to continue and wont accept any commands. Also if you flash something that isnt compatable like stock boot img without flashing verity and twrp to decrypt youll be left with the only option of kdz restore, unless you somehow boink download mode. Strange data encryption is.
Thank you very much for your help now I have a better understanding I've come from an older model so I never seen that before but again thank you for the info

Reactions: Odin89
Upvote 0
Aimzzz, after flashing when white screen asks if youd like to reset say yes to both. This is the *1* i repeat *1* time you will enter twrp this way, from there go back to op and follow very very closely. (It says in op you say yes to both of those "white screens" :) Edit: if after saying yes both times and not booting to recovery then you have not properly installed recovery.

Thanks Odin89, My confusion has been that the white screen said Factory Reset, which is what I thought we don't want. I thought I was missing something or doing something wrong. If you look at the gqukyo/messi posts #128 - 130, last Friday at 5:52 PM, it's exactly the same confusion. I wasn't here the last few days to see it.

[EDIT: When I said that I tried it several times, I meant that I started over & re-flashed the recovery each time, not that I kept trying after the *1* time. Sheesh... I said both too much & too little in all those posts :rolleyes: ]

Now that I know, I'm about to DL the new build & try again :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones