1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Recurrent internet connection failures after gingerbread update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by centaurus, Aug 13, 2011.

1. centaurus

centaurus Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Dear all, I've been having persistent trouble connecting to my mobile internet ever since updating to Gingerbread (v 2.3.3) a few months ago..

The 'mobile network' icon (under wireless and networks) shows that my "connection failed due to incorrect APN setting"- my APN setting shows "orangeinternetapndroid" when this occurs (I'm on the orange network). After having looked through advice in this forum I realised I could reset my APN & then my internet begins to work again (the apn then reads just "orangeinternet")

However after a few hours the apn setting reverts to "orangeinternetapndroid" & my connection fails again. Now whenever I need to connect to the internet I need to go through this whole process again. Unfortunately Orange customer services can't help & the regional HTC office suggested a hard reset, which I would like to avoid unless there is no other way..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    I had this too and had to "restore default" under the APN settings after which it worked again fine. Strangely my provider tried to send me the settings via text but it wouldn't come through; we stumbled to the "restore" cure by accident really.

Sorry I can't help with a fix with yours, just wanted you to know it's not just your phone.

El Presidente likes this.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Welcome to the forums! :)

You could try not using APNDroid to manage your APN settings?

I reset as per the above, checked my APN and it was called orangeinternet. If I turn the APN off with my extended controls toggle, it renames itself as "orangeinternetextendedcontrols". It still works though.

There's a HTC widget which performs the same function I believe? Try using that and seeing if that makes a difference?

4. centaurus

centaurus Lurker
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Thanks for your replies! I'm not sure how the 'apndroid' suffix came about in my apn settings- I don't use/have any 3rd party apps to manage them. So is this the way forward? Which app is best?

Thanks again

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Do you use 3G Watchdog to monitor 3G usage? I think that has an APN Droid plug? I could be wrong, just think it's weird that given my experience with Extended Controls, APN Droid appears after your APN info.

Generally, if there's an inbuilt Widget/app for doing something, I'd use that over a 3rd Party one. If you're on 2.3.3, there's a handy APN toggle in the quick settings tab of the notifications bar.