• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Recycle Bin?

Dariusx

Dec 30, 2010
I accidentally deleted a video file using Adao file manager. I couldn't find a way to retrieve the file. Does EVO have an equivalent to Windows recycle bin? I have searched the web and all I can find are recovery programs. Is this the only way to do this? My phone is not rooted. I don't really care about the file, since I have a copy on my PC. I am just curious about the process. Thanks

I accidentally deleted a video file using Adao file manager. I couldn't find a way to retrieve the file. Does EVO have an equivalent to Windows recycle bin? I have searched the web and all I can find are recovery programs. Is this the only way to do this? My phone is not rooted. I don't really care about the file, since I have a copy on my PC. I am just curious about the process. Thanks
If there is a recycle bin it would be part of the file manager. As far as I know, Android doesn't have a recycle bin.

Upvote 0
Some Linux distributions have recycle bins, but Linux in general has no such thing. Android certainly doesn't. If it did, you would never regain space after removing files, as they would basically just be moved rather than deleted. Since you have limited space on a phone, it's slightly more important that you get your space back, anyway. Since it's on the sdcard, though, there are recovery programs that could work, as you saw. They aren't always reliable, though, and the more you write to the card, the less likely you are to get anything back. When a file is deleted, it technically isn't gone, as it would take a long time to delete files if they were fully wiped. It's basically just the reference to the file that is removed. As you write files to the card, it overwrites what was there before. Once that happens, you can't get it back, ever.

In any case, if you're worried about this sort of thing, you can look into setting up something that will sync directories on your phone with either your computer or the cloud. There are a few solutions out there.

Oh, and before anyone even bothers to bring it up, if you've seen a directory named lost+found, that is not a recycle bin :).

EDIT: oh, and yeah, I'm sure there are a few apps like that that have a built-in recycle bin, but since the system doesn't support it, the app would have to do it, and if that is the case, the app's function for deleting files would have to know to actually move them rather then delete them. So obviously it will only work inside the app.

Reactions: bellator7
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones