1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

RED Ballistic HC or RED Trident Kraken (2 Q's)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Frohoss, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Frohoss

Frohoss Newbie

RED Ballistic HC Series EVO Case or RED Trident Kraken EVO Case

I'm interested in both of these cases both in red however i have a couple concerns:

1) COLOR: (Kraken)
    Specifically with the Kraken red color. On their site, the red color appears to be more of a dull/dark red or even maroon. Can anyone share an actual photo of their red Kraken case?

I have seen actual pics of the RED Ballistic HC EVO case. The red is nice and vibrant. Does the Kraken red even come close to that of the Ballistic?

2) AVAILABILITY (Ballistic)
    I can not find the RED Ballistic HC Evo case anywhere in stock other than their site. They want $50 though. I know on amazon i can get the black one for $32 though. Any other thoughts on this?

Just not sure which one to pull the trigger on.

marctronixx likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mecampo

mecampo Well-Known Member

i was in the middle of this two cases too but now leaning towards the ballistic hc, i was thinking of buying from the site for warranty but come to think of it i dont think im going to use the warranty anyways since the only weak link on the case, if it really is, is the stand.

oh and i like the red on black too :), goodluck picking

marctronixx likes this.
  3. marctronixx

the ballistic is EXTREME protection!!! its quality is second to none. i have had all 3 flavors, i sold the grey and now i have the red and black cases. the red goes well with the evos red accents.

the kickstand on the ballistic will snap off safely before it breaks as in some other cases.

the ballistic is easily worth 60 bux or more.. 50 is a great deal.

(slowly fade in patriotic music) support the local small businesses in america.. they are what made this country great (bring patriotic music full...fade to black...) :)

4. Frohoss

Frohoss Newbie

So i went ahead and got the Red Ballistic HC Evo case for me and purchased the Pink Trident Kraken Evo case for my wife.

The overall winner: Trident Kraken and here is a short summary why...

Overall, the Ballistic case is rock solid. Comes with a few other things that i won't ever use. (holster, silicone case) So I spent $50 on it. That might be worth it if i was going to use everything it comes with...but i'm not. I would put it at a value of $25 for just the naked case alone.

I have a few problems with this case. I knew prior to getting this case there are a few complains that dragging down the notification bar can be a little challenging. Add me to the list of complainers. It just gets kind of annoying.

The second issue i have with the ballistic case is the comfort level when talking on the phone. Remember I am using the case naked...without the rubber silicone case added. (btw....it is HUGE when that is added) Do to the design of the case it feels like it is drilling into the side of my ear. There is a spot at the top of the case that is cut out for the phone to clip into the holster. That is the area that eventually feels like two needles are poking me.

Third...it's very minor but can be a positive at the same time. It's kinda challenging to get the case back off if you need to remove the battery etc.

I also had to shave down my charging cables to make it fit into my evo while using the Ballistic case. No big deal though...just saying I had to do that to charge it.

Now for my wifes Trident Kraken case. I would take this one over the Ballistic. Though it to has the same issue as the ballistic case with the challenge of dragging the notifications bar. But the comfort level during a phone call is exceptional. To me it has about the same amount of protection. It's also easier to take the case off if needed too.

So hope this helps some others make a decision between Ballistic HC of the Trident Kraken case.

With that being said I now have a 1 day old Red Ballistic HC case for sale. Let me know if anyone is intersted.

Murf1 likes this.
  5. Niks aka Lola

Niks aka Lola Lurker

My husband and I both bought the red/black Ballistic cases (a few days apart) and the day I got mine, the Kraken was released. Hating the Ballistic already, (my husband got his the day before I got mine) I ordered the pink Kraken and sold my Ballistic on ebay for $30 when my Kraken arrived. I don't have any issues pulling down the notification bar on the Kraken, but it was almost impossible on the Ballistic. And like you, we both had to take off chunks of black rubber off the charger just so it would fit into the phone. Not cool. My husband loves his so he kept it, but is seriously considering getting a Kraken just because of the cool colors.

One other thing... he had his Ballistic for 5 days when the clip on the holster broke off. "Indestructible" my butt...

Murf1 likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews