1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Red Flags for Tethering off sprint?

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by MissDroidNoob, Jul 9, 2011.

1. MissDroidNoob

MissDroidNoob Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Quick post and run... but I just temp rooted my evo shift 4g and downloaded a tether app and was streaming live video on my laptop at almost 30mb/a sec (atleast thats what the app said). is this going to send red flags to sprint or is it TRUELY unlimited? there is no 4g in our area so its 3g. what are the chances of being caught doing this? and what can happen if I do get caught? I just got this phone a few days ago, and im new to sprint and smart phones in general. im just scared of getting caught lol

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    HAHAHA no you weren't. 3g speeds are between 600kbps and 1800kpbs, approx. 4g on sprint wont get above 6mbps approx.

A few minutes here and there isn't going to hurt. People that tether all day long are the ones that really need to worry.

You would only get caught if you did it excessively, i.e. all day long doing nothing but downloading.

Sprint could terminate your contract.

3. MissDroidNoob

MissDroidNoob Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Well, I won't pay for TV so we use netflix and hulu constantly... probably up to 5 hours a day. That would be too much you think? what if I started paying for the service legally would that still be too much?

4. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    My 3G speeds often reach higher than what the above poster stated... its not uncommon for me to reach 2.5 mbs/sec while tethered on Sprints 3G (I'm in Phoenix). However, I do agree that 6mbs/sec is too high for 3G... 6 to 10mbs is more common on 4G. I do agree with the above poster that there will not be any problems with you streaming regularly unless it's a 24/7 basis. I don't think you have to worry about much unless you are using 10GB a month or more. I have used 6 to 10GB a month on multiple occasions without any problems (and that's on 3G). If you give more details, I/we could give you more info. i.e Are you using 3G or 4G most the time? If on 4G.. you probably don't have much to worry about. If on 3G... You probably don''t have to worry about drawing attention unless you're using over 10GB a month. imo.
    Hope that helps.. give some more details for more info. :)

If you started paying legally (i.e. the $30 dollar HotSpot fee) you dont have anything to worry about.

5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Personally, I think that's too much, especially if you're not paying for it.

I use tethering only for emergency situations when I'm out and about. If I really had to use my phone for the internet access at home as you stated, I'd personally pay Sprint for the wifi hotspot feature, just because it's the right ethical thing to do. Streaming does also use up a lot of data, so I think 5 hours a day will add up to a lot.

There was an article I read recently that gave some estimates on how much data each type of service on a phone could use up- email, text, netflix, youtube, video chat, etc. It showed that youtube streaming alone used up a lot of data. I'll try to see if I can find that article again and post it here.

BenChase7 and la sal like this.
  6. MissDroidNoob

MissDroidNoob Lurker
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    yeah. I was actually going to pay for the hotspot service until they told me it was only for one phone. that means if either me or my husband leave one will be left at home without internet. also I called sprint about questions about my bill and he mentioned I had hotspot service. I said, do I really? he took a minute and realised I didn't... so I'm thinking maybe there's already evidence or something. anyways, it's enough to freak me out so i uninstalled everything. but yeah I think it would be useful for simple surfing when Im not at home and need to use my laptop. but the visionary doesn't even work on my phone after i installed an update so oh well.

7. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Android Expert
    None

Dec 18, 2009
    5 hours a day of streaming video and you're going to get caught eventually. If I had a no pay for TV policy and no other internet connection at the house I think I'd pony up the $30 a month for the hotspot.

8. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    5hrs of streaming movies? thats a lot.
    and some surfing on top of that...

i would guess... at least 1GB a day... maybe even up to 3GB.
    so 30GBs a month if not more.....

that might cause some flags to show. will sprint do anything? maybe no.. maybe yes. send you a bill $30/month for usage and/or cancel with or without termination fees.

i have heard of some doing more than 40gbs a month without issues.

9. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    You will get a letter only if you interfere with the network. If you do not interfere with the network, they are unlikely to do anything to you.

But you really need to pay the 60 dollars a month for tethering of both phones, your abuse (yes abuse, you are violation of tos) of the system will force sprint to a tiered system sooner, more then later.

When you choose behavior like yours, you need to understand that you will force the service provider to change their behavior. Your data connection over your mobile device is meant for 1% connectivity to the internet, not 20% as you planning on using it.

10. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    yeah, i love my friends who like to drop by and hang out occasionally. use my stuff, phone, pc, tablet, tv, play my games, eat my food, drink my drinks, cool. okay, yeah, stay over night because they had to much or just want to, cool. one buddy, cool, two, cool, three...cool, four, it's getting crowded, i'm running out of room and food and drinks, and they are fighting over what to watch or game to play, and my family members are getting put out because they can't find a slot to watch their show or play their games, or snacks...looks like i have to either kick out my friends (which one?)...or get a bigger house...or ask them to help pay for food/drinks, another tv or two, another game console or two...but which friend? guess i'll have to ask them ALL to leave or ALL to help pay.

common sense, people. free loaders are a drag on everyone.

flatlander likes this.