• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Red question mark on contact. Can call but not txt to it.

tgm1024

Oct 26, 2011
Moto DROID 4 / Android 2.3.6

Ok, this is troubling, and I need a little advice as to what is going on.

First, this is entirely unrelated to a recent post of mine looking for solutions to converting "phone contacts" to "gmail contacts" as I have yet to do anything in that regard.

BUT.....I added a gmail contact (from my pc) with a mobile number in it, and >poof< it shows up on my phone. Okidoki.

I can call it. But when I choose it for txting, inside the txt app the contact appears with a red question mark on it. I can enter in all kinds of txt, but then get a curious message about needing a valid recipient or valid message.

No other contacts have that red question mark. The other contacts work with txting.

So on the PC I delete the contact. >poof< it's gone from the phone, as expected. I re-enter it on the PC, and it shows up on the phone. I choose it and there's no red question mark and I can txt ok a sentence.

I get a reply from my contact. Ok so far.

I go to enter my reply and it has only "A valid address is required to send this message" in the message field and disallows any typing.

HUH? The contact is there, and the conversation obviously shows it worked for a sentence.

Ideas? Android contacts don't seem bullet proof. Should I punt the default contact manager entirely and go with GoContacts or other variant?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones