1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Red "X" and no service/calls/texts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by breakerfall, Feb 24, 2013.

1. breakerfall

breakerfall Newbie
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    Longtime Android user, new to this phone. Got a refurb a few weeks ago for my mom because it was cheap and I knew it would get ICS out of the box. Finally got around to setting everything up for her last week, and just yesterday she noticed a red "X" near where the cell service bars usually are; couldn't make/recieve calls or texts. A battery pull and SIM wiggle seemed to fix the problem, but it happened again today. The same fix worked again this time, too.

Now, service inside her house is absolutely terrible... usually one bar. I could see it dropping service inside the house, but it remained that way after she went out (to areas that are usually much better).a

This with a new-from-verizon-store SIM card. The phone is "upgraded" to the latest OTA V8. Also, wifi works fine when the phone is in this red X state.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    I'm not familiar with LG phones as I've never owned one but is there an option in the settings somewhere to update profile and PRL? This isn't an option on all phones but you could check that first. If that doesn't help at all, I would call verizon customer service. There may be something they can update or reset on their end to get it working better.

3. saxydroid

saxydroid Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2012
    Hillsborough, New Jersey
    Have Verizon replace the SIM, if that doesn't fix it the SIM tray Maybe faulty. The latter is probably true given the terrible quality of Verizon returns. My mother went through 7 VZW returns with one phone. And for me, I've went through 3 droid 2 refurbs. Before making the mistake of buying this phone for my "upgrade".