1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

reduce data usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wolvotim, Mar 1, 2011.

1. wolvotim

wolvotim Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    Shropshire
    Hi I've just got my self a desire to replace my old Nokia 5800 im still in the contract that the 5800 came with and it only has 500meg data which was fine with the 5800 I only use to get through about 80-100meg a month.

Anyhow yesterday and today the desire has munched through 20meg each day and i really haven't used it that much and with only 500meg a month I could easily go over my limit. I've got a good idea that its the refresh/sync frequency all the various things set to that are causing this much usage and I know I can turn them down but at home and friends houses it isn't a problem because of WiFi is available.

Now to my question.

Is there an app, widgit, feature that I can completely customize the phone and all its settings (sync/refresh settings) and save it as a profile called say "work" that wouldn't munch up so much 3G data while out and about then when I get home I could enable "home" which would crank up all the sync settings and turn the WiFi on?

Sorry about the long post but I wasn't sure how to get my point across.

Advertisement

2. williamj1

williamj1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    The simple answer is no.

Processes like contact syncing, email apps, widget updates, weather updates and so on, all these things which constantly pull data can either be turned off so they only update manually, or set to update less frequently. But all of this has to be done manually, and not automatically.

The only way what you want would be possible would be for an app to control lots of others, which isn't really possible.

So no you can't. But you can take steps to reduce data as I say like reducing how often they update... or do what I do which is just to turn off all mobile data unless I am actually using it.

3. wolvotim

wolvotim Newbie
    None

Feb 6, 2011
    Shropshire
    Lol fare enough thought I'd ask. Looks like i'll be turning down the sync's then

4. williamj1

None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    Yup :)
    What I do is I set most of my apps to "refresh on wake" and turn data off. That way, as soon as I turn my data on, it refreshes instantly. I only really use data to do things like check facebook, read emails and so on. But neither need to be pushed instantly so I turn it off.

An alternative is to turn data off and set all apps to update manually. Then add a sync all button on your homescreen. That makes it nice and easy to refresh all at once.

Or, and I think you will like this one...you could even keep data on all the time and as I say set all apps and widgets to refresh manually. Then just hit sync all button you make too refresh, meaning they wouldn't constantly be pulling data.

Either way, its worth working out a way that works for you as data really impacts battery. Simple things like changing wifi from always on to used when screen turned on make a big improvement.

5. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member
    None

There is an app called DroidWall which is essentially a firewall for data usage. You can put the apps you will allow to update via your cell phone network on a whitelist, the others will only update via wifi. You need root access for this app though.

6. disco

disco Newbie
    None

Jul 10, 2010
    had to laugh,looked at noobs guide apps to sd card ,to complicated for me ,whats SDK mean? KRO

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    SDK = Software Development Kit

8. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    One way would be to use Tasker/Phoneweaver/Locale to switch off data by location/time. This is though a bit heavy handed as it would stop all data not just the few you want.

The only way I have found I can stay safely within the limits is by hooking up to my home wifi whenever at home and downloading all app updates when I'm there. I can then sync all I need across the day when out and about

9. partridge

partridge Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    20 meg per day? Really, what the hell are you running?

I have a 1Gig monthly limit and I never get anywhere near it, I removed my 3G data tracker because it was clear I was never going to hit my limit (and if I did I'd get a warning text first).

I'd have a good look at what apps you have that need data access and see how often they are updating. 20meg a day seems a lot, unless you are in a good data area and stream video/audio?

10. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 2, 2010
    England
    You're not surfing the net on the train, watching streaming TV, or You Tube over mobile internet are you?

11. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    UK
    I can quite easily update 20mb of apps every day - couple of games or big apps and you're nearly there, around 5 or so of my apps update every day. That's why I keep those until I get home to update over wifi.

12. williamj1

None

Sep 11, 2010
    UK
    Yeh 20mb per day is easy! If you use google maps and ever touch street view, I'm looking at more like 50. Plus, a couple of market downloads and it's a 100! Good job i've got an unlimited package :p

13. Zyzomys

Zyzomys Lurker
    None

Mar 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I easily stream 20+mb/day streaming music (TuneIt) to my phone while I walk to and from work.

14. deanshep85

deanshep85 Android Expert
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    UK
    I do believe tasker can be set up to allow 3G data syncs at certain times...

I use 'settings profile' and while that doesnt have 3G on/off access sadly it does have wifi on/off...so if I ever bothered with wifi I can actually set it to come on at certain times and them put 'rules' in place to force certain apps to do their business at certain times like on the hour every 2 hours or something..

15. Nasalhair

Nasalhair Guest
    None
    I must be doing something wrong then as I use about 80-100MB per month, and that's only on a heavy month when I'm working away from home and sitting in a hotel at night, bored.

My somewhat Amish method of using the Desire is to leave wifi, mobile internet, Bluetooth and GPS all switched off until I want to use them, and as soon as I've used the feature to do what I want I then turn it off again. Nothing automatically syncs - I've disabled all of that - and I never use the likes of the radio, or any kind of streaming media.

Yes I use the internet, but sparingly, to check my email and a few favourite websites every now and again, plus I post several Twitter updates a day.

I guess I'm unusual.

marshduck likes this.
  16. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Android Expert
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I get through microscopic amounts of data. I only use about a megabyte or so a month on average, as everywhere I go has wifi.

Tags: