• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reduce lag without rooting??

bendbolden

Lurker
Aug 11, 2010
Hey guys. Looking for a few tips on reducing my lag without rooting. I have read mixed reviews on the advanced task killer and also am not sure how i should set the frequency and level of kill if I did use it. Also is there a major difference in lag if I were to root. I like the phones stock features and wouldn't be interested in doing anything other than speeding the phone up. I have jailbroken an iPhone so I may be a little familiar with the process but all help is appreciated. Thanks

I have no experience of rooting so I'm afraid i cant give you much advice there, but i do use the advanced task killer on my Desire.

I set the kill frequency to the minimum (30 minutes) and then excluded any apps i either want to run in the background, or need to run to update. Things like IM+, Mail, music, internet etc. It made using the phone a much smoother experience as it stops rogue background processes eating your CPU. My available memory used to get as low as 50mb where the phone really lagged, but with advanced task killer running it was always somewhere between 150 and 200.

Id say give advanced task killer a go, its not going to make your phone faster per se but it will keep it from getting bogged down. Just play about with the autokill till you get something that suits you.

Plus, installing an app is easier and faster than rooting.

Upvote 0
If you like all the stock features, you can root but leave your current OS (HTC Sense etc... ) as is. Nothing will change.

Then just install the setCPU app and overclock your Eris to 710-768 MHZ which will take care of most of the lag issues.

If you really want to remove lag completely you would have to install a new ROM (OS) which is much more slimmed down than stock and overclock with setCPU

Upvote 0
You can actually root your phone without actually losing your stock OS. That would allow you to install SetCPU and overclock it, which will definitely reduce teh lag.. dramatically. Task Killer will do absolutely nothing for the lag, but it will drain your battery.

Beat me to to it Will!! We musta been posting at teh same time!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I'd like to root without any crazy roms but i'm not sure exactly how. I've read some of the rooting procedures but it's still not really clear as to how to just "plainly" root it without really changing the OS dramatically. A little slimmed down OS would be fine but not anything facny. Any help there?

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I'd like to root without any crazy roms but i'm not sure exactly how. I've read some of the rooting procedures but it's still not really clear as to how to just "plainly" root it without really changing the OS dramatically. A little slimmed down OS would be fine but not anything facny. Any help there?

When I first rooted I did it in 10 min and only flashed what was called at the time engtools3.zip which only installs some root utilities in the OS background and did not change anything with the regular OS.

Looking at the phone you could not tell that it was root this however did not speed up my phone at all. I changed ROMS to a very lean fast install and my phone operates 99% lag free.

I do recommend rooting. Even if you never do anything with it, it is nice to have incase you want to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones