1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Reduce RAM usage in froyo?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bennylava, Sep 3, 2011.

1. bennylava

bennylava Well-Known Member

I noticed on my galaxy S, that its using something like 184Mb of ram, but it only has 339mb. I was wondering if its like windows, where you can go in and disable unnecessary services that might be running. Or something like that. You know, just to optimize the phone and minimize RAM usage.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ndex477

ndex477 Well-Known Member

Yes, Android keeps services running in the background all the time. What application did you get your memory information from? i.e. was it Manage Applications, Running Services etc?

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

If the service is unnecessary, Android will kill it if its not in use for some time. If its necessary, killing it will just make the phone bring it back again. And task killers arent good for Android and may cause damage according to Android savvy people. Android manages the memory automatically by itself. If there is too little RAM, it kills apps on its own.

4. bennylava

bennylava Well-Known Member

Yeah I just looked around in the phone's settings. Didn't really use an app. I found where it tells about ram usage. But is android like windows? Are there unnecessary services running? Or can you cut down on RAM usage?

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

No Android is not like Windows. Not even Windows phone runs like Windows. On Android, unused RAM is wasted RAM.

Samsung Galaxy S Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews