• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Redux 2 Frequent Crashes

ernolander

Jul 27, 2010
Hi all,

I've had some problem with random reboots in the latest Redux 2 build for a while now, and was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar things, or has any ideas of what might cause it.
Briefly, the ROM crashes and reboots without warning several times per day. At first, I thought it was linked to me still using Zeam Launcher, as when I swapped back to the stock launcher, it ran for about a week or longer without crashing (obviously I charged it every night..). However, I then decided to try out GO Launcher, and the crashes started again. I

It's happened both when in use and when it's idle. I had overclocked with SetCPU to 1113 MHz as max frequency, but reduced that to regular 998 MHz a few days ago, as I thought it might be linked. However, I've had some crashes happening since as well.
I'm using the standard kernel "bundled" with Redux (2.6.35.13-stable thalamus), and haven't changed the voltages on the phone.
Strangely, even though I've had several of the reboots in the past few days, the uptime of the phone is listed as 144 hours, which was the last time I did a manual reboot. Not sure if it's relevant, though.

Cheers,
Erik

EDIT: And as if it knew, my phone just rebooted while I was typing this on the computer...

Upvote 0
Are you using any form of App to SD?

The only crash I had with Redux 2 was while trying to play a corrupted ogg file on the SD card. If you have some on SD corruption of an app that could do it, maybe. Remember some apps run in the background.

The problem is, it may not be an SD card issue per se, and a scan may show no errors. However I would try and do one on the card if you are app 2 sd.

Otherwise it may be a corrupted installation - ROM or app (or app within the ROM)?

Reactions: ernolander
Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check the SD card, I am indeed using A2SD+ with a 1024MB ext3 partition. It hasn't been any problems with Redux 1.2, or the earlier versions of Redux 2, but it does sound plausible that it might be a corrupt file/app on the ext3 partition.
It does look more and more likely that I'll have to do a full reinstall, though...

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check the SD card, I am indeed using A2SD+ with a 1024MB ext3 partition. It hasn't been any problems with Redux 1.2, or the earlier versions of Redux 2, but it does sound plausible that it might be a corrupt file/app on the ext3 partition.
It does look more and more likely that I'll have to do a full reinstall, though...

Possibly. If you do, I'd re-add the apps slowly and from install rather than from back-up (obviously the data will need restoring). Best to do that first time round than discover you need to do it second.

Oh and check your ROM download, too.

Reactions: ernolander
Upvote 0
If the uptime hasn't changed, it may just have been a shell crash. Do you get the whole hang at splash thing before you get to the boot animation, or does it go straight to boot animation?

What happens is the current screen I'm on freezes for about 30 seconds, and then the phone reboots straight to the Redux splash screen and then starts up normally.
If it's a shell crash, do you reckon it has to do with the ROM itself, or could it be the ext partition, as adskankster suggested?

Upvote 0
I have been having similar issues to @ernolander, with random freeze and crashes of this rom,
however, I have overclocked to 1113 and run the smartassv2 governor with min cpu at 128 and screenstate scaling switched on,

I have suffered from slow wakeup mainly when I get a call and the phone has not been used for 5mins of so and then struggle to see who is calling and answer the call.

I have also flashed the thalamus 2.6.35.14 mod 6 kernel, and was undervolting with incredicontrol but this just caused even more issues to the point that when trying to set the voltage the phone just froze and 9 times out of 10 needed the battery removing to reboot.

Any advice on solving these issue would be appreciated

Apart from these issues that have only raised their ugly head in the past week or so Redux 2 has been running fine for the past month :cool:

Upvote 0
Quick update for you....
The issues I had just seemed to get worse with even more freezes and random shut downs so have now resulted to a complete wipe and reinstall of redux 2 and have had no issues so far.
Really fancy undervolting so may try again to get better battery life.
Should you be able to check the md5 sum on a kernal download like a rom?

Upvote 0
Quick update for you....
The issues I had just seemed to get worse with even more freezes and random shut downs so have now resulted to a complete wipe and reinstall of redux 2 and have had no issues so far.
Really fancy undervolting so may try again to get better battery life.
Should you be able to check the md5 sum on a kernal download like a rom?

The Redux website has the md5s for 1.2, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2.

Upvote 0
hi guys,
glad i caught this thread - was about to drop redux2 onto mine and now very unsre that is a good idea - dont like random reboots :(
cheers
dan

...actually went ahead and installed - all ok so far - im liking it - not as glossy looking as miui - som im running it with Zeam launcher - for a more lo fi look :)

cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones