1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Refurb Droid X's

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chrisat53, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Chrisat53

Chrisat53 Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    anyone out there have experience with refurb Droid X's? I'm currently on a Samsung Fascinate and when I called with some compliants a few months back, Verizon offered to send me a new Fascinate even though i was bought my phone at Best Buy. My phone was working well, no GPS issues like alot of people had and my compliants were simply about Verizon's 3G speeds in my area (came from ATT/iPhone 4 which were much better and faster). I went on a trip down south this weekend and my GPS did not work one time and i tried about 5 times each way, just to see if i could get it to work. I called Verizon and after some push back, i was able to talk them into setting me up with a new phone. The best two choices were the Droid 2 and the Droid X. The 2 is nice but too small and i dont need a key board, the X has always seemed like a good phone and was my 2nd choice when i bought the fascinate (got 2 fascinates for $50 in november).

so the question is, does anyone out there have refurbs Droid X's? any issues? have to go thru multiple phones to get one that works correctly? any feedback, positive or negative is fine as long as it is your personal experience would be a huge help. thanks everyone, i appreciate it.

Advertisement

2. escalade6103

escalade6103 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    aviation technician
    BFE
    I'm on my 7th dx and i've had better luck with the refurbed dx's than with new replacements. I know a lot of people get mad when they get refurbed ones but they go through them pretty well as long as you get them from verizon, insurance refurbed ones suk! 4 of thw 7 i've had were new ones and they had instant problems, bottom buttons coming out, screen pressure spots even when not touching it, constant rebooting, and gps not working. So don't be scared of refurbed dx's. Even though i've had to have it replaced it's still a great phone and i really like it. I would recommend to anyone to get a dx. Rooting and putting a rom on it has made using it even more fun. Good luck with your choice.

Even when i had to swap they overnighted the phone so i didn't have to wait long to get it. And since i use titanium backup and had a backup of the roms i was using, it was no trouble. Less than 20 mins to get it up and going with all my settings just like i had it.

Chrisat53 likes this.
  3. aohus

aohus Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 27, 2010
    Letting people know that ATK's are bad
    how are you even able to get new replacements?

afaik, if you are having issues with your existing DX, they replace it with a refurb DX.

I went through 3 refurb phones. They all worked fine.

4. gardenofrage

gardenofrage Lurker
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    I'm not sure it is the same thing but I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned X back in November and I haven't had any problems yet.

5. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    On my 2nd refurb.... this one has an earpiece speaker with a little buzz.... otherwise both refurbs are fine. I think I'm gonna have verizon send out a replacement refurb to remedy the very slight earpiece buzz though.

6. escalade6103

escalade6103 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    aviation technician
    BFE
    Im guessing they didn't have any refurbed ones to send me. But tpu can tell if it's s refurbed one cause it will have a refurbed sticker with a date under where the battery goes and it should have a sticky that says certified replacement.

7. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    My first DX had a blown ear-piece speaker. The second was fine, but I ended up switching to the Incredible.

My husband's had his DX since launch with no problems at all. I guess there are always lemons. With my INC, I had it for five months with no issues and it up and went haywire one day, rebooting over and over. My first replacement had a blown external speaker, and the second replacement is perfect.

8. Ageguy

Ageguy Member
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    ive had my dx since august and i am still on the original new one. havent had any issues as of yet (knock on wood). hopefully i wont have any issues with it until the bionic comes out.

9. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    I called Verizon today to activate my GF's new droid x I just got her and in the process mentioned my buzzing earpiece and they are overnighting me a new X tomorrow. This is the kind of service that keeps customers happy and sticking with a provider. No charge, just a replacement phone with no hassle delivered next day.

10. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    yeah, but they charge your account $349.99 until they get back the old broken one. Then it takes 10+ days once they get it to credit the account. Easier to go into the store.

11. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male

They don't carry replacement phones in VZ stores here. No choice but to call and get one sent out.

12. phirefaux

phirefaux Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Central FL
    I just upgraded from my old moto devour, to a CPO(certified preowned) Droid X for 99.99 online (thought it a great deal so i hopped on it). So far its performing flawlessly. the phone is in great condition, no marks or scuffs or anything. Im blown away by the performance compared to my lowly devour. i disliked motoblur on the devour, but i really dont mind it on the X

13. Wally World

None

Dec 28, 2010
    Can you return it? Costco has it new for $9.99.

14. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

Man I must be doing something wrong..... I'm still on the same old DX I got back in August of last year! :(

15. Chrisat53

Chrisat53 Newbie
    None

Dec 21, 2010
    well i got my DX in the mail yesterday and no problems, working fine and i'm really liking the device. looks like there is a great community here for any questions, issues, etc. so that is nice as well. thanks everyone for your replies, look forward to contributing to the threads :)

16. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Android Expert
    None

Heeeeey good to hear!

Come back often and you'll learn a ton of stuff about it. This site helped me learn at least 95% of everything I know about this phone. And I spent a good 2 to 3 weeks getting to know it on my own before I ever visited here. So I had thought I'd pretty much figured it all out at that time.

Ha, turned out that was just the tip of the iceburg! And 7 months later, I'm still not below the water line yet... there's a lot you can do with these babies.

17. fonefreak

fonefreak Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 25, 2010
    North of the ecliptic
    I bought my DX new in November, then had one replacement refurb about a month ago. No discernable difference between the two units, except that the refurb hasn't died on me yet like the original did. No scuffs or marks of any kind. Very happy with VZW!

18. klwit307

klwit307 Lurker
    None

Feb 5, 2011
    My DX is a "certified preowned"... no problems at all so far, although I'm only a month in with it. So far, so good! :)

19. sic0048

sic0048 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    I had a replacement sent to me under warranty. It most likely was a refurbished unit, but I honestly could not tell. Everything looked brand new and it has worked flawlessly for the month or so that I have had it.

This was a warranty replacement direct from Verizon however, it was not an insurance replacement. Those refurbs apparently are lower quality a lot of the time.

20. tearlach2

tearlach2 Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    No you probably just know how to use rsdlite. Verizon has traded out a ridiculous amount of droids due to idiots.

21. mbaverizon

mbaverizon Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    RETIRED SERGEANT
    COLUMBUS,OHIO
    I have more problems with new than cpo

22. MooN

MooN Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    Great... so the general consensus is that the insurance refurb DX's suck?

My kid broke the screen on my Inc the other day and Asurion was backordered on my phone. So they offered to replace it with the DX which I accepted, because I wanted it over the Inc for a while now.

I hope all will be well with the replacement. :(

23. Wally World

None

Dec 28, 2010
    Well if it glitches out, etc, it's under warranty. Take it back into the store for an exchange.

24. mbaverizon

mbaverizon Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    RETIRED SERGEANT
    COLUMBUS,OHIO
    well i guess i spoke to soon, got my CPO today and the charging port is bad, funny thing is i tried 3 different chargers and the one charger said the battery is bad and for me to get a motorola battery, the second would charge for 10 seconds and stoped, and third has the little question mark in the battery symbol, so who knows???

25. Wally World

None

Dec 28, 2010
    Walk it in to a Verizon store and get a replacement there. No need to wait.