1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

refurb nook colors

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by 2acclaim, Sep 16, 2011.

1. 2acclaim

2acclaim Well-Known Member

Overstock.com has refurbed Nook colors shipped for $160. Still have the one year warranty like a new one.

Great price for what will be a decent rooted tablet when I get my paws on it.

Advertisement

2. 2acclaim

well after a weeks anticipation of waiting for it to arrive it's on the truck out for delivery. Won't get to really play with it until tomorrow night but looking forward to it. This should be a fun trinket for screwing around the house as well something for my 9 year to old to play with when we're cruising along in the car.

So colchiro, you going to be on standby to help me fix my brick when I screw up something and can't get it to boot? ;)

3. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

I guess you'll find out. :D

Make sure you start out with a fully charged battery.

4. 2acclaim

charged up the battery last night. Surprised that you can't charge through the USB port plugged into a computer.

As a refurb it looks great, booted up and I registered it. Hopefully tonight I can start the process of making it into a fully useful tablet.

5. colchiro

Like many tablets, your NC requires 2 amps to charge. It also powers up when you plug it in so now you have screen and cpu running, which makes it charge slower.

Your usb port only provides .5 amps so 1/4 of the power the charger provides. If the screen is on, it'll never catch up and if you're using it, it'll continue to discharge, but at a slightly slower rate.

I have a root-only app called Quick Boot installed that lets me reboot or shut down with one tap. I LOVE the green led in the cable that tells you when it's charged. To charge, I plug in the cord at bedtime, tap the shutdown icon and in the morning the led will be green. I tap the "n" button to make sure it's powered off and pull the power cord out.

2acclaim likes this.
  6. 2acclaim

I've got the sd card flashed and ready for rooting.

Been reading all over the place about how to do it. It only seems difficult because there's so many links and much like the actual Android tablets, too many choices.

Still going back and forth on whether to full root or dual boot but full root seems like full rom rewrite seems to be the better way.

Funny thing is I actually have little use for a tablet, just seems like a neat toy. After watching the intro video last night and how good it looked I can see watching a lot of movies on this thing when traveling.

7. colchiro

I played more than used mine. There were games I played on it that I quit playing on my phone.

8. 2acclaim

this will more than likely get delegate to my 9 year old when 'i've had my fun'. Just waiting for the case to arrive as well(trident aegis).

They're neat, however not sure how practical they are just yet. For what I paid it's a worthwhile gamble. I can probably Craigslist for what I paid if I wanted to if I find out it's just sitting.

Looking forward to rooting my first device. I was going to do my old phone since I no longer use it but after the screen broke and started bleeding just didn't seem worth trying.

9. colchiro

The phone I could see, assuming you actually use it, o/w if it was an old smart phone and you had wifi, I could also see it.

I read the BB Playbook is starting to sell out for $250 in a few places, but a 7" screen doesn't interest me any more. (I've moved up to the 10" HP Touchpad, due to get GB in a few weeks.)

BTW, "Root" refers to just adding admin privileges to a device. If you're installing CM7, on your Nook, that's not rooting, but installing a custom rom. Are you rooting (stock rom) or installing CM7 on your Nook?

10. 2acclaim

hoping to install CM7 so that's it's usable as a tablet. While I do read on occasion, I want a full blown do everything my phone can do, except make calls, but with a larger screen.

I didn't see the closeout pricing on the touchpad until the monday morning afterwards otherwise I would've snagged one of those as well at the fire sale price.

This is my first real foray into tablets. Been hunting for the right one for months now. At the price I got this one for, it finally made me take the leap.

11. 2acclaim

ok out of all the available downloads for CM7, which one seems to be the best with the Nook?

12. colchiro

#200 has the market fix. I'd get that.

13. 2acclaim

it appears to be stuck at the cyanogen mod 7 screen. see the droid and the scrolling arrow around him and never get any further.

What did I do wrong? or miss?

14. colchiro

Did you format data before flashing CM7?

15. 2acclaim

yes, starting all over from step 1 to see if I can get it this time. Nothing is ever as easy as I'd like but I'm sure with your guidance I'll get it.

16. colchiro

I usually backup current rom.
    Format system, data, Dalvik cache.
    Flash rom.
    Flash gApps.
    Reboot.

17. 2acclaim

got it with the second try. I skipped the overclock stuff for now but that seems easy enough to add later.

got the little green dude with the scrolling finger. Now for some fun.

Any suggestions for what to start with?

18. colchiro

You might boot into recovery and start over.

19. colchiro

WHAT OC STUFF?

You're combining an old guide with a new rom. OC kernel isn't needed with new roms.

20. colchiro

If you mean apps to install:

You can install all these from here after logging in: https://market.android.com

Lookout
    Amazon Appstore (from Amazon.com) They give away a free app every day.
    Quick Boot
    Dropbox
    Nook Tweaks (to mess with OC stuff)
    Angry Birds Rio
    Stupid Zombies

21. 2acclaim

not sure why but it's refusing to connect to my router. It did with the stand B&N ROM but now it's being a pain? Any idea whats going on?

It gets to obtaining IP address than craps out and says disabled.

it connects to my phone via wifi tether so it's not hardware. I'll try disabling the wpa and see if that changes anything.

22. 2acclaim

ok for whatever reason this build didn't like WEP, switched to WPA2 and it connects fine. Go figure.
    Thanks for the write up. Made the task easy.

23. colchiro

You shouldn't be using WEP anyway. :D

Hope Market works ok now.

24. 2acclaim

Market is fine. Justinstalled Amazon so far so good

25. colchiro