• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Refurbished My Arse

jefboyardee

Extreme Android User
Jan 18, 2011
I'm the guy who somehow mangled his micro-usb port and got Sprint to replace the Optimus for thirty-five bucks, then spent time reinstalling everything just so. Well, everything was like new, but this week I caught it rebooting itself while just sitting there. Thought it odd but figured it was Them doing Something Important.

This morning it behaves. Then I take it work and it's booting again. The LG icon shows, but then it's black, then it shows, then black, then then then. Back to Sprint. They try their hardware button secret sequence (which I'd love to know) to no avail. So I'm getting another "new" phone tomorrow and meanwhile they loaned me a phone-phone.

My confidence in Android, Sprint and all things technological went straight out the window -- what's the point of being able to do almost anything most of the time? My previous phone did much less, but I could count on it being able to do so at any moment. Anyway, I'll probably get over it and all will be forgotten, but right now... grrrrrr.

There are lemons out there and more than likely you got a "refurbished" one for your replacement. I know that they try to make the refurmbished ones as good as new but that doesn't always happen and you end up getting someone else's problems. More than likely it was doing that with it's previous owner.
I just upgraded 2 of my lines to the Optimus and hope and pray I don't run into problems...I do have an Evo on my primary line so one Optimus is a backup and gosh, it was free so just couldn't pass it up....

Upvote 0
I feel your pain. Im on phone number 4. The first had a bluetooth issue, the 2nd began random rebooting itself, the 3rd worked great for a week and then the random reboots started. Phone 4 was great till it started rebooting itself and having the stuck on 1x issue and killing the battery. Either I'm the most unlucky person or these phones that we are getting are nothing more than rejects from a large bad batch. When the phone works, its great, but when it doesnt its infuriating.

Upvote 0
Yep, those were very discouraging times for me and it sounds like yours were worse. I think initial shipments were somewhat disjointed. But so far, this third one has been a gem. They slapped on the ten dollar add-on fee but I got the local folks to set corporate straight. Anyway, it’s behaved impeccably and I can’t imagine life without it. And now that I’ve said that...

Upvote 0
Phone 4 was great till it started rebooting itself and having the stuck on 1x issue and killing the battery.

1x issue... Hmm... I've had my s for a few days and it never gets out of 1x... My previous phone had 3g all over town. My girlfriends has the same problem... no 3g... any ideas? fooled around with settings but still no 3g.... Help!

Thanks all...

Upvote 0
1x issue... Hmm... I've had my s for a few days and it never gets out of 1x... My previous phone had 3g all over town. My girlfriends has the same problem... no 3g... any ideas? fooled around with settings but still no 3g.... Help!

Thanks all...

The 1x issue is a known problem. This phone doesnt like to roam at all and then when it does it hates going back to 3g. Ive turned airplane mode on then off again to get it back into 3g. Sometimes it works, sometimes it freezes up. Make sure your network settings are what they need to be before doing anything drastic.

There is an app over on androidcentral in the Opt S forum that is called Roam Control. It was made for the Opt S and its hatred for roaming.

Upvote 0
Make sure it's a new one this time. Refurbished phones are usually nothing but problems. Besides for all the trouble you've gone thru that's the least Sprint should do.

Im on my 3rd refurb that has the same issues as the other 3. Sprint is supposedly sending me a "new" phone. Im done with the Opt S and plan to sell the new phone on ebay and get an EVO. This phone has too many widespread issues to be anything other than a headache. :mad:

Upvote 0
I think the refurbing process is rudimentary, some are fine but some problems go unnoticed. My third phone, refurb #2, has been a gem... knock on wood.

I agree. I will have had 5 now and each one has been a lemon. With as much as I use this phone and need it to be stable it doesnt perform reliably enough to take a chance on the 5th phone. This most recent phone turns itself off the most out of all of the previous Opt S'. Its beyond frustrating. My EVO will be on its way to me tomorrow. :):):):)

Upvote 0
I'm with the OP on this one! I'm on my third...THIRD Optimus S. The first one i Bricked trying to root it (silly noob i was lol) so they sent me out another one. it worked fine until I'm assuming the digitizer was going out (sprint technician looked at me like i wasnt supposed to know what that was -_-) so that phone went away...strike 1. Got my new phone TWO days ago and now the damn power button works whenever it decides it wants to work....Strike 2. I'm just gonna save my pennies and get somethin else if i cant fix this damn power button issue (i cant lock my phone and if my phone IS locked, i cant unlock it, i cant reboot...hell i cant even turn the damn thing off without taking the battery out)

Upvote 0
I'm with the OP on this one! I'm on my third...THIRD Optimus S. The first one i Bricked trying to root it (silly noob i was lol) so they sent me out another one. it worked fine until I'm assuming the digitizer was going out (sprint technician looked at me like i wasnt supposed to know what that was -_-) so that phone went away...strike 1. Got my new phone TWO days ago and now the damn power button works whenever it decides it wants to work....Strike 2. I'm just gonna save my pennies and get somethin else if i cant fix this damn power button issue (i cant lock my phone and if my phone IS locked, i cant unlock it, i cant reboot...hell i cant even turn the damn thing off without taking the battery out)

I was on my 5th LG when I pulled the trigger on an EVO. The LG is a POS. When it works its not bad, the problem is all 4 of mine never worked. Convince Sprint to send you a new Opt S and sell it on ebay. I did and used that money to get a new condition EVO. Ill never buy another LG phone again. My .02. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones