1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Refurbished or Used?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JnEricsonx, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JnEricsonx

JnEricsonx Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2011
    Just wondering that if you had to choose, would you choose used or refurbished in terms of a device you wanted to buy?

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Depends. If I knew the owner, and I knew the phone was used correctly, (and I got a notarized bill of sale, and was with the owner when he told his carrier to remove the phone from his account), I'd probably buy used. If not, and those were my only choices, I'd buy refurb.

mikedt likes this.
  3. JnEricsonx

None

Jun 1, 2011
    Im more thinking of tablets, in this case.

4. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    My fiance got a refurbished Asus TF300T and it had a bad backlight, which it took them a week to fix. Not bad, otherwise.

mikedt likes this.
  5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

I would choose refurbished.

Manufacturer refurbished phones and tablets are checked to make sure they meet certain specifications so they should be in good condition. Plus they usually have a warranty.

IOWA likes this.
  6. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    Typically 90 days. I'd only get a used device if I was allowed to test it fairly extensively, first.

7. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast
    None

May 26, 2013
    re-furb all day long, if it was "manufacturer" re-furbed. the thing with used is that batteries don't last forever. especially on a device that does not have a removable battery, i'd get nervous if the device had alot of use. with a refurb i don't have that worry as much.

8. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Refurbished ... checked and probably under warranty ... flashed to out-of-the-box state.

If I ever bought it used the FIRST thing I would do is flash it back to out-of-the-box state. You never know and the unknown can nail you.

... Thom

9. JnEricsonx

None

Jun 1, 2011
    Im just curious, at some point I want to buy a tablet, but I really can't afford the new costs of some, like the Note 8 or the Tab 3 8.0, which is my main choice.

10. entropy5

entropy5 Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I recently purchased a refurb Asus Memo Pad ME172V (saved about $60) that seems to be fine. I've also taken a gamble on a sight-unseen used Motorola Atrix 2 which I'm extremely happy with.

11. Android Wafer

Android Wafer Lurker
    None

Jan 11, 2014
    Refurbished will be the better option most of the time. In the UK, the term isn't even used in the way that many assume it to be. Products described as refurbished are often no-fault customer returns (rather than items that have been repaired), that have had minimal - if any - usage. The refurbishment process simply involves checking the product works as it should.

Manufacturer refurbished products can be good too. As an engineer once pointed out to me, in some circumstances it can actually be preferable to buy a device that has been screened. Hardware and software will often be updated to remove issues found in initial production runs.

It's all a question of what kind of discount your are getting. Whilst refurbished products can have their benefits, buying new is still generally better. So there is needs to be a decent reduction offered to make purchasing a refurbished product seem like good value.

As for used products, I wouldn't pay as much as I would for the refurbished equivalent. With used purchases you are often taking a greater risk, as typically minimal maintenance has been carried out, and you won't generally be offered a warranty.

That's not so say there aren't some used bargains to be had, though. This is can be especially true when buying from someone you know personally, or the seller has a good reputation.

funkylogik likes this.
  12. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Android Expert

Jan 18, 2011
    If it comes from my provider and I got it as a replacement for a bad new phone, I hold them responsible for it being the same as new. If I got it from eBay, the term 'refurbished' just means it's used.

13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Refurbished, really because still have full manufacturers warranty. From what I've seen of used recently, generally means it's knackered or it was crap to start with, and is why they're getting rid of it.

"refurbished" an item that is sold by the store. May have been a customer return, because they weren't satisfied, etc.

"used" an item is second hand. May have had a lot of use and is sold by the person who owned and used the item. No warranty, maybe sold as seen or test it before parting with any money.

14. Kyle1836

Kyle1836 Newbie
    None

Jul 1, 2012
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    I would rather buy refurbished phones because they are almost guaranteed to function.

15. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    A refurb has a warranty and is generally considered by the OEM as "like new." But also depends on the company, as a refurb from Apple is essentially new and comes with a new warranty.

I'll take refurb over used unless there is a drastic price gap.

16. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Refurb is definitely better than used. Just because refurbed could of just been someone who bought it and was like, well I all of a sudden don't want this anymore but opened it...oh well.

I mean they could of used it, found a fault, returned it to the store to get fixed and gotten a new one, but usually it is rather new.

I have bought refurb before and generally am just as satisfied as I would of been if I would of bought it, except I save some money too :)