• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Refurbished/Reconditioned Incredibles

They mentioned if I keep having problems with the battery life, I'll get a refurb phone at the store I was at today. Or I could BUY an extended. I went home, called 611 and she actually offered me an extended, shipped overnight, free.

So tomorrow, I'll have a 2150MAH battery + case for free. Unfortunately, I won't have a cover but thats fine for now.

Upvote 0
One thing to remember also is that a reconditioned phone doesn't necessarily mean it has been used up and or damaged and repaired. If someone bought one then returned it for say a Motorola Droid then Verizon/HTC cannot sell that phone as new so it becomes reconditioned.

I do second Shred1's comment to keep sending it back till you get one you like.
BTW Shred1 did you have any issues returning a rooted phone?

I unrooted a few days back after deciding to return it. I followed the video guide and took my time and everything went well.I also got the official 2.2 ota last night and installed it this morning. I love this phone and really hate returning for something not crippling like a shitty speaker.If the speakers were available I would just switch it out myself but they have been back ordered for a while now.

Upvote 0
I'm also getting a refurb either today or tomorrow. Froyo broke the radio in my phone so 3G doesn't work (literally) half of the time. It's ridiculously frustrating. Am I not getting email because I no longer have 3G or am I not getting email because no one is emailing me? I can't wait to the replacement.

Upvote 0
Received a reconditioned phone because of the phone call quality issue. Put the battery in it and checked the OS version which was still 2.1 but never activated it. Installed the RUU on original phone on Aug 30. Phone call quality and phone signal indicator issues have not improved. I will say though that the refurb was in perfect physical condition.

I have also read elsewhere on these forums that users having battery or performance issues after installing the OTA should do a hard reset on the phone and reinstall their apps. I used App Manager to back up my apps to the SD card but reinstalling them from the SD card does not re-establish the install status in Android Market.

Upvote 0
I had an incoming call this morning, and I missed it, I realized later about the call, then checked to see if my volume was silent. It was not. Did a few tests, speaker blown, Incredible 3, refurb 1 on the way.
My first phone within a week I noticed the camera lens was messed up. Since within 30 days got brand new one, phone 2. Well here we are, not too much longer and the speaker is blown. Called *611, pushed 0, then 0 again, first CSR was great, then she transferred me over to tech, he was cool shit, explained a few things, and there's a refurb on the way. I've had pretty decent luck with refurbs, they to me are like getting a phone 9.15 out of10 new. haha. That's pretty good.

I've heard of this 3 deal thing, I went through 3 Eris', one new two refurbs, and that's how I got the Incredible, they credited $199 for Eris, canceled existing contract, and opened new two year giving me Incredible at two year online $199 price. So, free Incredible. This was only two months ago.
If this phone has problems like blown speaker again, will I be getting offered another refurb or a different phone?

Here's my biggest question.
Will the refurb come with 2.1, or 2.2?

I just got off the phone with them today (9/3) 9:00am Eastern time. and said it'll be here Wed(9/8). because of the holiday.

Upvote 0
I had an incoming call this morning, and I missed it, I realized later about the call, then checked to see if my volume was silent. It was not. Did a few tests, speaker blown, Incredible 3, refurb 1 on the way.
My first phone within a week I noticed the camera lens was messed up. Since within 30 days got brand new one, phone 2. Well here we are, not too much longer and the speaker is blown. Called *611, pushed 0, then 0 again, first CSR was great, then she transferred me over to tech, he was cool shit, explained a few things, and there's a refurb on the way. I've had pretty decent luck with refurbs, they to me are like getting a phone 9.15 out of10 new. haha. That's pretty good.

I've heard of this 3 deal thing, I went through 3 Eris', one new two refurbs, and that's how I got the Incredible, they credited $199 for Eris, canceled existing contract, and opened new two year giving me Incredible at two year online $199 price. So, free Incredible. This was only two months ago.
If this phone has problems like blown speaker again, will I be getting offered another refurb or a different phone?

Here's my biggest question.
Will the refurb come with 2.1, or 2.2?

I just got off the phone with them today (9/3) 9:00am Eastern time. and said it'll be here Wed(9/8). because of the holiday.

I am going to guess 2.1update1...buttt it is possible it may come with 2.2...either way 2.2 will most likely install right away

Upvote 0
Got my refurb today as well. Definitely had signs of some moderate usage.. the lens cover had light scratches all over it and there quite a bit of dirt/dust stuck around the aux port. Didn't bother me too much. What did give me a bit of concern was how the screen was in a different position than my original. The border of the earpiece and screen is dramatically larger, so much so that large particles of dust can easily drop in there whereas my original one, the earpiece and the screen were practically flush with one another.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, new here! I had to get a refurb as well cause 2.2 caused my incoming call speaker to stop working like others on here, but the refurb came with 2.1... durh!, dumb asses, you'd think they would test with 2.2 on it to make sure I don't have the same problem... besides the speaker 2.2 has been fine for me... I to was also upset a bit as my incredible is only a week old, and i'm getting a refurb over my brand new one...

Upvote 0
I'm on my 3rd refurb and 4th Incredible. First two blew the speaker, third one had no flash and a GPS issue but they all looked brand new to me. The refurb's *should* be mint from what I have received.

If this one gives you problems I would ask for a different phone..

I can confirm that I was rooted, then downgraded to 2.1 and s-on just to check, then did RUU for 2.2, then downgraded to 2.1 to see if it could be done with s-on and it worked just fine so IO hope the same for refurbs that come with 2.2

Upvote 0
Update: got my recon Inc in Friday. Looks great, activated it, and received the update notification within 5 minutes. Updated. Everything looks and works great. Placed phone on charger overnight. Woke up to dead battery. Tried again the second night with same dead battery. My original Inc easily charges both of my batteries. I contacted VZW, they are sending me a 3rd Inc. Will update with my findings upon receipt. :/

Upvote 0
This is my third Incredible. The first one, the camera lens was loose and I wanted a new one, the back door wasn't bad. Brand new Incredible number two. this one was horrible. the back door was so loose and the phone felt like it was a crappy refurb even though it was brand new. well the speaker blew. I got my refurb today and the back door is great. I almost was going to get a droid2 before my speaker blew because of the door until I found this case at my local Verizon store (making thread after this will update with link). I actually love my Incredible the way it should be loved! I would love the white back door as well but, I use a case so its pointless!!

Upvote 0
They mentioned if I keep having problems with the battery life, I'll get a refurb phone at the store I was at today. Or I could BUY an extended. I went home, called 611 and she actually offered me an extended, shipped overnight, free.

So tomorrow, I'll have a 2150MAH battery + case for free. Unfortunately, I won't have a cover but thats fine for now.
i caled and complained and they are sending me a free 2150 and back door for my phone .i then complained i wont be able to use my seidio innocase with extended battery .he checked vzw and said they dont have one and gave me a $ 45 credit to buy another one that fits with the extended battery .kept telling him how good the evo sounded on sprint and i was ready to switch .i said at least with sprint if i have problems i wont feel so bad because im paying almost half for their service .for me 2 smartphones from vzw is over 2 hudred a month and for that i should have no problems .

Upvote 0
Got my refurb today.

my battery door is no longer loose!!

I'm happy. this will suffice til the next refurb. I'm worried about once the one year runs out, ill get a new return a few days before my one year warranty is up and then hope it lasts a year..if not i bet i could talk Verizon into giving me an early upgrade.
Shit, I got a free Incredible lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones