1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Regarding problems with downloading apps from the galaxy store

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Somdatta, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Somdatta

Somdatta Lurker

I got a new Galaxy M40 today (I am posting on this forum since M40 is not showing up in the dropdown menu on my browser) and when I tried to install something as simple as twitter, it got installed but then unless I update it from the Play store it's not letting me access it. It's saying that the app is not of the latest version which in my opinion is bollocks, for there's no reason the Samsung app store should be hosting outdated apps. I don't want to enter play store because I don't trust Google. Please help. I am attaching the screenshot of what I said at the beginning.[​IMG]

Wrighty87 likes this.
  2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Yep. It all goes thru Google and the play store, no work arounds, other than sites such as Apkmirror.com

ocnbrze and Somdatta like this.
  3. Somdatta

Somdatta Lurker

Sorry the image URL didn't seem to work, so I am uploading a file for you to see, Screenshot_2020-06-19 Android Devices(1).png

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

When you say "it's not letting me access it" what exactly does that mean? The phone won't open the app or, more likely, the app won't connect to the service? If the latter that is entirely down to Twitter, and would indeed imply that Samsung are hosting a version of the app which Twitter have deprecated (or rejected for other reasons).

If you tell us what app version it is someone can confirm whether it's the correct one. Or you can do as Danny says and look in apkmirror.com to see what the latest version they have is.

ocnbrze, Dannydet and Somdatta like this.
  5. Somdatta

Somdatta Lurker

Ok so what happened was after I downloaded the twitter app a popup came up at the bottom after I logged in saying that I have to update the app and there was no other option other than that to start using twitter. And when I clicked on that it directly went to play store. So either the play store way or the highway, this is very undesirable.

How do I figure out the app version? Also what is this apkmirror? Can one bypass play store using it?

6. Somdatta

Somdatta Lurker

Ok problem solved after phone self upgraded to newer version of android, android 10.

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

apkmirror.com is a website that keeps a curated archive of android apps (in the apk format used for installation). Now in general I'd avoid downloading from random websites as you've no idea what they might insert into the apk, but these guys do a pretty good job of only including official copies, nothing pirated or cracked, no letting third parties upload apps to their site, and I've never heard of a problem from there.

As for the popup taking you to the Play Store, you could try selecting the Play Store app in your app manager (that's what Samsung used to call it - it's Settings > Apps on non-Samsung devices, but Samsung always change their menus) and seeing whether it has any defaults set. If so clearing them might mean that in future it will ask you which app you wish to use. But it's quite likely that Twitter themselves directly coded a pointer to the Play Store, in which case there is nothing you can do if it happens again except ignore it and find an update yourself.

As for how you find the version, in most apps if you look in their settings there is an "about" option which will tell you the version number. Or if you look in your app manager, select the app and look at its information you should find a version number in there.

puppykickr and Dannydet like this.
  8. Somdatta

Somdatta Lurker

As I said, the Galaxy store App is perfectly kosher and everything got solved once my phone got upgraded.

Dannydet likes this.

Samsung Galaxy M30 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy M30 release date was March 2019. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 13MP camera, 3-6GB RAM, Exynos 7904 processor, and 5000mAh battery.

March 2019
Release Date
Reviews