• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regarding the dont factory wipe 2.1 sticky.

I've lost track of the number of times I've wiped my phone from 2.1 - easily in the couple-of-dozens...

I do know that there are data connectivity issues with 2.2 on the Dinc (at least on the ROMS we currently have available). It's intermittent and difficult to pin down - but it's there for a fair percentage of those running 2.2)...

How many countless thousands of factory resets have been done by the posters here and those on xda since release -and suddenly this is "swarming" since yesterday?

1) The "factory image" hasn't changed
2) The hardware hasn't changed
3) The hboot hasn't changed
4) The process hasn't changed

I can say with 110% certainty that with all the iterations of wipes/flashes/etc that I've done from 2.1, not once have I had any data issues after the fact (with 2.2, yes but not 2.1). I'd like to see something more concrete on the advisory than what is currently posted.

This reads far more like alarmist information than actual good scoop...

Upvote 0
That stickied thread should replace "will" with "may." I think anyone with root has done at least one factory reset/wipe, and I did one prior to having root that didn't cause me any problems. I'd expect many more people on here to be reporting the issue if it happened with any/all factory reset/wipes.

I'll notice sometimes mine (root, stock 2.1, hydra UV) won't connect, but a quick Airplane mode toggle does the trick.

Anyway, I agree that the sticky thread is a little sensational to say the least. It's close to Fox News style fear mongering if you ask me.

Upvote 0
I didn't even see that Sticky until after I read this thread. Maybe we need a Sticky for the Sticky?

Agree with everyone else though. Source listed as "from a source within Verizon Wireless". I wonder if it is the same source who has confirmed the iPhone4 is on it's way to Verizon.

Upvote 0
+1 I just did a wipe today and here I am on the bus using my data plan and typing this comment. Idk what he is smoking but I want some.

If you notice on any forum, what works for one or two does not mean it works for all.
If it does not effect you, great !
Your post is ☯ ,OP says it will , you say it will not, how about maybe it will/will not or it might/might not ?

Upvote 0
I understand the nature of the post being a PSA - simply questioning the authenticity...

It states that this issue is "swarming" since yesterday...

Has anyone seen a single instance of this problem here, on xda, or on any other Incredible forum?

We get two dozen posts a day about the new BW widget not being spot on or poorer than expected battery life - but the two biggest repositories of DInc info on the web haven't had any reference to a single instance of this HUGE problem?

Bad info is bad info, regardless of the nature or spirit in which it's presented. Not calling it out as such is irresponsible and detrimental to the platform and the hardware.

Upvote 0
I understand the nature of the post being a PSA - simply questioning the authenticity...

It states that this issue is "swarming" since yesterday...

Has anyone seen a single instance of this problem here, on xda, or on any other Incredible forum?

We get two dozen posts a day about the new BW widget not being spot on or poorer than expected battery life - but the two biggest repositories of DInc info on the web haven't had any reference to a single instance of this HUGE problem?

Bad info is bad info, regardless of the nature or spirit in which it's presented. Not calling it out as such is irresponsible and detrimental to the platform and the hardware.

Listen, I am not disputing the lack of information pointing to this thing as an issue. I personally have not seen any evidence of it happening. But what we also need to take into account here is that we are not privy to issues the call centers at VZW and HTC or any other carrier deal with.

That said, is it not also irresponsible to ignore the potential of a problem simply because we have not experienced it ourselves.

I mean how many people have one of the phones mentioned and go into a store with issues or call tech support with issues but don't come here or go to XDA or even know these sites exist?

I could be wrong, but I would not be surprised if 90% or higher have no knowledge these sites even exist.

Upvote 0
watch

Reactions: jayjay1122
Upvote 0
I have the leaked OTA and 2.2 on mine, wiped it last night as I ordered another one, was going to give this one to my daughter and take the new one. The wipe did not erase all data. The screens didn't go back to a default state, instead the apps were erased and generic icons sat in their place on the screens. I then loaded the apps again, but EVERY third party app (the ones that didn't come loaded on the phone) would force quit when I tried to run. Clearing the application cache and data didn't help. Finally, uninstall, then reinstall of the apps cleaned it up. Very messy...

Doc

Upvote 0
If you notice on any forum, what works for one or two does not mean it works for all.
If it does not effect you, great !
Your post is ☯ ,OP says it will , you say it will not, how about maybe it will/will not or it might/might not ?

Then they need to change the wording in the sticky!
"If you do, you will lose your 3G data service and you will not be able to regain it."

Instead of creating a mass panic they should have said you "may".

Reports of this issue have been swarming since yesterday. This has been replicated multiple times with the LG Ally, HTC Droid Eris, Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Incredible, and the Droid X

Some one please point me to a thread or a person that has had this problem and I will be happy to admit I was wrong.

"I am told that the highest level technicians at VZW are absolutely puzzled about what is causing this. There is nothing wrong with Verizon

Reactions: photographx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones