• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regarding the slot cycle setting from the 2.x thread...

What changes did you make to your dial up networking settings?

Security - S.IP DUN it will have your 10-digit-number@dun.vzw3g.com
M.IP Default Profile --> DUN NAI will be the same way.
Remove "dun." from the email address under both. That is what usually tells Verizon that the phone is being used as a modem instead of just using the data on the device (stands for dial up networking for those that don't know). It has worked on many other smartphones over the last 5+ years for me, so assume it will still here.

Upvote 0
At work, I'm on a site where I regularly have 0 bars through the entire building, and sometimes a flash of 1 bar (rarely). Over the last 5 days that I've been there, I've had my Slot Cycle on different settings.... but let me take a step backward first.

The slot cycle change from 2>1 or 2>0 will also make your phone react more quickly when you push your Off/Wake/Sleep/End Call button at the end of a call. This eliminates a perceived 'Lag' that many people complain about, when it's just waiting to communicate with the tower (rather than the phone itself lagging).

Let me attest to the concept that when the Slot Cycle is 0, your battery gets OBLITERATED if you have 0 bars. Sitting asleep, my battery goes from draining 2-3%/hour with 3g on to 5-6%/hour with 3g on, when I'm in said 0 bar area. I can still make/receive calls (I believe our phone has a very strong signal amplifier - which is what is draining the battery when you're at 1/0 bars!) with 100% clarity.

The Slot Cycle at 2 makes that 5-6% (per hour on slot cycle 0) turn back into 2-3%, consistently. Over 3 non-talking hours I lost 8% (or 9% if I am bad at keeping time) with Slot Cycle 2, and 17% over a similar 3-hour period on Slot Cycle 0.

I've resolved to Slot Cycle 1 for now. Since my Verizon reception is great in most places, for the most part, the Slot Cycle Index at 0 doesn't seem to do much to impair battery life. But it seems, based on my involuntary experiment, that the change isn't so obvious (or much of a change at all) until you have BAD reception. When the tower signal is weak, your phone has to get 'Louder' to make good communication with the tower. And there goes your battery life (down the drain).

Upvote 0
I don't think the change was that big of a deal really. There was a one ring change depending on which slot I selected. If the battery life shows any significant effect from the change then it will go right back to 2.

I changed mine from 2 to 1 weeks ago. I did a test and mine changed from 2-3 rings to register to only 1-2 rings. Definitely an improvement and I left it at 1. I have NOT noticed any change in battery life either... As far as everything else goes, I didn't notice any difference!

Upvote 0
Security - S.IP DUN it will have your 10-digit-number@dun.vzw3g.com
M.IP Default Profile --> DUN NAI will be the same way.
Remove "dun." from the email address under both. That is what usually tells Verizon that the phone is being used as a modem instead of just using the data on the device (stands for dial up networking for those that don't know). It has worked on many other smartphones over the last 5+ years for me, so assume it will still here.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant here, but what does this do? (I found this from a Google search on improving call reception time)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones