• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Regarding the VZW Play's app storage...

Nfinity

May 4, 2011
Is the VZW Play going to have even less app storage (than that of the other Play's from around the world) due to having more pre-installed games (7) plus all the VZW bloat? :thinking:

On a side note, how's the developer support for the play so far (In terms of rooting/hacking)?

VZW where I live has the X Play on demo now (special order only). The controls work nice, but if you think 380mb is low for the Euro model, VZW loaded even more bloatware, so there is only 226mb free storage. This is 2mb more than 1.5 year old Droid 1. Even the sales rep lady was stunned and gets this is crazy low. I asked if folks installed other apps, but she stated it was a brand new demo.

Unless you root and purge this ridiculous amount of relative bloatware, apps2sd is not going to buy you much time at all. For non-rooters, this device will be a mega fail in the US and no way to assert that 226mb is "plenty" of space. It certainly is not.

Nice dpad, none the less and the display did not seem as bad as some report. Kind of reminds me of a modern N-Gage :) (my first smartphone).

Rooters will get almost three times the space (if you zap most stock apps).

Upvote 0
If still in your return window, best to send it back IMO. No excuse for such low storage on a device that is more likely to have a lot of apps than other devices. Gamers tend to not be frugal with app installs.

This device is a dual core, auto brightness removal and 2gb flash chip from great. Heck, forget the dual core, since the latter two would make it great. The dpad is nice.

Upvote 0
If still in your return window, best to send it back IMO. No excuse for such low storage on a device that is more likely to have a lot of apps than other devices. Gamers tend to not be frugal with app installs.

This device is a dual core, auto brightness removal and 2gb flash chip from great. Heck, forget the dual core, since the latter two would make it great. The dpad is nice.
didn't you post about a week ago stating that you were definitely buying one because you could root the phone and get a lot more space? now you're back to complaining about how others aren't going to have space to install apps when in the end you will be rooting yours.

Upvote 0
didn't you post about a week ago stating that you were definitely buying one because you could root the phone and get a lot more space? now you're back to complaining about how others aren't going to have space to install apps when in the end you will be rooting yours.

Said I was leaning, not that I would (had not tried one yet). I decided to go with the DX2, since the display is far better and the device is a lot faster (plus easy root and Netflix). The Play display looks too dim and really stands out next to other devices (still not as bad as some have reported).

Point is most people do NOT root their devices and VZW added their usual bloat, in spite of small space to put it in. For non-rooters, 226mb is insane for a new device.

I am done with it now. DeadlyD is correct. In fact, when the forum floods with app space posts, I will not post one, "I told you so", since that would be too obvious.

I still will lurk at eBay in the next several months for a used X Play. It would be an honor to have the X Play as an old school game emulator system.

As an old school game system, this is what the Pandora should have been. Pure old school gaming magic.

BTW: Metal Slug with Tiger Arcade rocks REAL hard using the Play :)

Any posts from this point forward will be positive and nothing to do with the hardware, but the games :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones