• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Regaw Mod One Click Root

In the OP over on XDA it says if you have any errors just run the program again.

Also, while the phone is off (it has to shut off to get to bootloader) the program wont be able to detect it. Make sure you are waiting at least a few minutes (5?) for the phone to boot to bootloader

EDIT:

Also make sure you have the correct drivers and framework installed from teh OP

Upvote 0
Here's an archive of the solution - turns out, wrong USB drivers.

Along the way, we confirmed phone connectivity and that IE was not running at the same time as the tool itself.

Details inside if anyone's interested. :)

I have all the correct software installed on the computer. I went step by step with the video. I have tried it about 10 times now with the same results, this last time leaving the phone site for about 15 minutes with nothing changing.

EDIT:

The pop up doesn't even come up for the HTCDev Token.

I would try redownloading the regawmod.

If that doesn't work try a different computer if you have one you can get access to for 10 mins

Just tried redownloading and installing everything. Phone is currently just sittin there on the boot screen...

I remember it sitting there for a while.

You're sure you ave USB debugging on right?

Yes debugging is on, and I have it set to Charge only.

Browser windows closed, especially IE?

Didn't try that, I will close IE now and give another try.

Sat at that same screen for 10 minutes and nothing.

Does it matter if Fastboot is On or Off?

Hopefully, that's all it was. Regraw mentioned that he was using IE libs or something and it didn't always play right with IE open.

Frustrating, I know, when you want to keep instructions up while running.

OK, now I'm just getting frustrated. I tried my wifes phone, and it worked perfectly. Now her phone is rooted and bootloader is unlocked.

I had done the "soft" root before, would that have anything to do with it. It says "Tampered" across the top of the screen on the bootloader screen. I know if the videos they said that wouldn't hurt anything.

I went from stock to done on WinXP with this tool, no intervening rooting.

Ok - on mine, I had settings, Security, install from unknown sources as well as USB debugging turned on.

I want you to do this - I want you to install our mini-SDK, it's here -

our forums' mini-sdk

And I want you to go and unzip that and put all of the files on your c drive in a top folder called \sdktest (in other words - c:\sdktest)

Open a dos window, plug in your phone and type this -

cd \sdktest

adb devices

And tell what it says when you do that.

Remember the second rule of rooting - don't panic, you'll get thru it with a little help from your friends. :) ;)

The black box came up and looked like it was running and just closed.

OK, you have to open a dos window separately, you can't double click adb.

Ok, when the window opened up it says:

C:\Users\Owner>

I have tried many different ways of entering it, but keeps saying "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Edit:

Finally got it, I'm sorry.

List of devices attached
HT24VS406808 device

So, PC to phone connectivity is aok.

Try running it now, double-clicking the one-click that is.

Dang, missed it earlier - fastboot must be off.

OK, there must have been a problem with the HTC Drivers that I installed from that site. I went through and uninstalled all the HTC Drivers. Hooked the phone up through the USB. Computer automatically detected and installed the drivers. I opened that program and clicked ROOT ME! Now my phone is rooted.

Thank you for trying to help me out EarlyMon!

;) :)

Note from above - when you try to go into recovery, it may simply only reboot. I ended up doing the whole bit over again, but probably only needed to toss a do-over. (tip of the topper to Chief XYZ) :)

OK, now I'm going to compress this conversation to save space for others, yet leaving it in case it can be of future help. ;)

Upvote 0
Rooters can fix this, provided you have busybox with sed.

adb into /system, then

Code:
su
cd /system
cp -p build.prop build.prop.orig
`which sed` -i 's/ro.da1.enable=true/ro.da1.enable=false\nro.da1.method=false/g' /system/build.prop
(copy/paste those lines into your adb shell window, the back tics make a difference)

Be sure the /system is mounted r/w, reboot to see effect, remove build.prop.orig or store away for future reference - and always make a nandroid backup before doing stuff like this first, I can't be held accountable if you don't. ;)

Removes the App Association setting altogether.

Full write-up at - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/565055-ending-apple-tyranny.html

Please direct all rooting questions to the above thread, thanks.

I can't do a nandroid backup because I haven't flashed a recovery. Right now, I'm rooted, but only for files and apps. I haven't flashed a custom ROM. I'm giving serious thought to just leaving the stock ROM as is, freezing bloatware stuff, and enjoying my phone without experiencing the seemingly omnipresent bugs in non-stock ROMS.

I tried many a ROM on my EVO OG, and it never failed that sooner or later, every one had a bug or some kind of issue that caused weird things to happen--front facing camera always took an upside down picture; phone would freeze up requiring a battery pull & reboot; phone wouldn't answer calls properly--you name it. I'm hedging my bets that leaving the stock ROM on with root just for apps and stuff will be just fine for someone like me.

Because of this, I don't think I'd be able to do your above fix with a preceding nandroid. Not having the full understanding of exactly how to do that, it probably wouldn't be very wise of me to even try.

Upvote 0
I've run stock rooted roms for two years, so I hear you.

BTW - adding a custom recovery is in your interests, and it doesn't require you to change your rom at all - specifically because it allows you to do full backups (even stock gets updates, and I believe in backing up before changing anything).

If you want to give this a go with a nandroid, it's possible, but it's best if you understand Linux.

If you want to try a good custom rom at some point, where everything simply works, just giving you more options, I recommend Charmeleon rom.

A great deal of the look and feel and feel of your phone is dictated by data entries in various plain text files. Charmeleon rom gives you the ability to change more settings - you get an expanded setup, essentially - without being a unix whiz.

I'm thinking of packaging the above into a zip file for people to flash, there's not much to it. (I got it by disassembling the 3vo zip file for this and fixing it.)

If anyone wants that, let me know.

Upvote 0
Oh, I don't disagree with adding a custom recovery. I used AmonRa for quite some time and loved it. I admit one doesn't have to use a custom ROM to have and use a recovery. I also do not criticize those who use and advocate custom ROMs; I simply am losing my love of seeing the need to use them. Part of me is probably admittedly lazy right now, lacking the time to have to redo all my phone's settings and apps and all after re-rooting to enable flashing a recovery (I'd have to re-root, which would, of course, wipe my phone's current settings and data).

It has been many years since I did any Linux work. Because I'm so pressed for time, I doubt I'd be able to re-learn that right now. I'm not one to demand someone out there make a one-size-fits-all flashable zip file to accomplish this workaround in one click, so to speak--that smacks of someone too lazy too try and learn. Instead, I accept the drawbacks of not being comfortable at the moment to do it myself. Maybe in the future I will, but right now I lack the time.

I admit, though, I certainly wouldn't complain if some neat, little, catch-all file accomplished all of this without having to enter all that Linux code. :D

Upvote 0
I've run stock rooted roms for two years, so I hear you.

BTW - adding a custom recovery is in your interests, and it doesn't require you to change your rom at all - specifically because it allows you to do full backups (even stock gets updates, and I believe in backing up before changing anything).

If you want to give this a go with a nandroid, it's possible, but it's best if you understand Linux.

If you want to try a good custom rom at some point, where everything simply works, just giving you more options, I recommend Charmeleon rom.

A great deal of the look and feel and feel of your phone is dictated by data entries in various plain text files. Charmeleon rom gives you the ability to change more settings - you get an expanded setup, essentially - without being a unix whiz.

I'm thinking of packaging the above into a zip file for people to flash, there's not much to it. (I got it by disassembling the 3vo zip file for this and fixing it.)

If anyone wants that, let me know.

I never understood why manufacturers don't ship with a decent recovery in the first place. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So it unlocked my bootloader, but didn't ever recognized my phone again to push the recovery on it. After deleting the drivers and trying again it just freezes? Any ideas?

Second if I can't get this method to work what's the easiest way to install a recovery with a already unlocked bootloader

Thanks

Once it unlocked your bootloader, it wiped your phone corect. Then did you boot the phone normally, then go under settings / developer options and select USB debugging?

If not you'll need to do that before the program will proceed.

There is another way to flash TWRP recovery onto the phone, it involves setting up the mini SDK and ADB and flashing through fastboot.

Upvote 0
At the end of that post is a flashable zip that does the job automatically, you won't have to care. If you use Titanium Backup, it probably made you get Busybox; or, you got it if you rooted by Regraws one-click.

I've had busybox on most all of my rooted devices but I never took the time to get to know how to use it. If I'm not comfortable using such tools I won't use them because I realize I can do more harm than good. I don't think I used Regraws one-click but am not sure. I have a zip file that I clicked from my PC that did it all but I don't recall the name Regraw. I just checked my app tray and I see no Busybox. Can I install the flashable zip from my PC? I haven't installed recovery on this phone yet because I haven't unlocked the bootloader. I started the process but it wanted me to have some files that I didn't have. Someone tried to send them to me and it still didn't want to work so I back burnered it.

Upvote 0
You can get Busybox and TWRP recovery by running Regaws even if you are already rooted.

You can see if you have Busybox now if you are comfortable with adb, or the Terminal Emulator app. Open a shell, say su to get a # prompt, then say, which sed - if it answers you with a path ending in /sed then just use the lines in my code box. If you copy and paste via adb shell, you should be okay.

You can also get Busybox from the Market, but many root methods don't leave it visible in the tray.

All Busybox does is provide a number of common unix tools.

Upvote 0
You can get Busybox and TWRP recovery by running Regraws even if you are already rooted.

Can I do this w/o needing to unlock the bootloader? I was under the impression we had to unlock the bootloader to get TWRP.

You can see if you have Busybox now if you are comfortable with adb, or the Terminal Emulator app. Open a shell, say su to get a # prompt, then say, which sed - if it answers you with a path ending in /sed then just use the lines in my code box. If you copy and paste via adb shell, you should be okay.

You can also get Busybox from the Market, but many root methods don't leave it visible in the tray.

All Busybox does is provide a number of common unix tools.

Let me rephrase, I've had Terminal Emulator on my other rooted devices and have even used it with a couple of well written how to's but that was a couple years ago. I don't know if I've ever had Busybox and from the things you're saying I'm not sure I would be comfortable using it if I did to be honest.

Upvote 0
So, there is a one-click way to unlock bootloader, add TWRP, root and then once I do this I can flash a zip from Recovery to change the link/youtube actions back to what I'm used to? Why not just do that instead of all these adb/busybox/terminal emulator steps?

Yes, http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/559456-regaw-mod-one-click-root.html does the unlock, add TWRP and root, the whole thing.

The reason that I posted the adb/busybox/terminal actions was that it was the dead of night, I disassembled and then refined another solution on my own to get there because I couldn't find the right zip in the first place by searching. I finally got ahold of the right dev at 3 am and found that the flashable zip for our phone was the first one out, so I added that to the OP there to not disrupt others already doing it the command line way.

But yes, that's what I've been failing at saying - run Regaws, make a backup (always make backups, you can get a bad zip download at any time), then flash the zip - and you're in Done City.

Upvote 0
Yes, http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/559456-regaw-mod-one-click-root.html does the unlock, add TWRP and root, the whole thing.

The reason that I posted the adb/busybox/terminal actions was that it was the dead of night, I disassembled and then refined another solution on my own to get there because I couldn't find the right zip in the first place by searching. I finally got ahold of the right dev at 3 am and found that the flashable zip for our phone was the first one out, so I added that to the OP there to not disrupt others already doing it the command line way.

But yes, that's what I've been failing at saying - run Regaws, make a backup (always make backups, you can get a bad zip download at any time), then flash the zip - and you're in Done City.

Yeah, I always do backups. Will running this pretty much clear my phone to factory fresh again? I plan to make a Titanium backup of all my apps first but just wondering how much time I should allow for setup when I do this. This will determine when I can actually do this.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I always do backups. Will running this pretty much clear my phone to factory fresh again? I plan to make a Titanium backup of all my apps first but just wondering how much time I should allow for setup when I do this. This will determine when I can actually do this.

I did the HTC Dev unlock manually before the one-click method was posted, and it does perform a factory reset of your phone. I would assume the one-click will do the same thing, leaving you with a factory-fresh setup again.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've never even opened the app. Still need to?

Probably not, but not sure. When you open the app, it'll ask to associate with your gmail account. When you reset it, it will close things out so that it will ask that same stuff when you open it again.

What we do know is that if you reset Wallet from inside the app (via settings), your security tokens for Wallet are safe. If you reset a phone with those tokens active, it'll brick the Wallet function.

People said I didn't need to either, having not used it, but I hate the word brick so I did it.

Upvote 0
Probably not, but not sure. When you open the app, it'll ask to associate with your gmail account. When you reset it, it will close things out so that it will ask that same stuff when you open it again.

What we do know is that if you reset Wallet from inside the app (via settings), your security tokens for Wallet are safe. If you reset a phone with those tokens active, it'll brick the Wallet function.

People said I didn't need to either, having not used it, but I hate the word brick so I did it.

Just found this reply to that same question in the xda thread: "No the only need for reset is because secure element has been activated otherwise if you have never signed up or anything your fine."

Upvote 0
Just found this reply to that same question in the xda thread: "No the only need for reset is because secure element has been activated otherwise if you have never signed up or anything your fine."

That was my experience. I rooted and unlocked before I found out about the Google Wallet issue. Luckily I hadn't set it up yet, and had no problems with it afterwards. I'm not even sure if you can reset it without having set it up first anyway.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner! I would have come in to provide support. I'm pretty ADHD, and checking multiple forums for stuff is pretty hard for me to handle haha. I usually have my xda usercp open with reload-every on, but I'll see about doing that here as well. I also just updated the rooter (yesterday?) which should fix some of the bugs, in case some of you can't get it to work still.

[ROOT] RegawMOD EVO 4G LTE Rooter | Updated 06.13.12 - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones