• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Regrets... Captivate sucks

dougouk

Jul 22, 2011
Is it just mine?
My captivate is horribly slow. It always takes a full second for the device to process whatever touches I make. it lags Horribly whenever I open up a new application such as memo, contacts, or when I even try to call someone. It also stutters a lot during browsing the internet, such as this forum.

The biggest lag is on gps. It keeps on freezing whenever I "move"the map or execute any other commands such as "get direction" and such. Also it frequently processes my touches with a 5 second or more delay.

Any help? This is my second captivate btw, cuz the first one was shit. I thought getting a new one might fix things up a bit, but no..

And my captivate is running on 2.2. Unrooted. Go launcher ex.

Any help would be appreciated :)

The Captivate is capable of being very slow and very fast. When it first boots up and is doing the media scan, it's very slow. Once that's done, it's very fast. After it's been on for about a week it starts getting slow again (like there's a memory leak somewhere) and you need to reboot to get it going again.

If you're doing a lot of file operations, like installing apps or backing up apps, things like that, it can be very slow due to the filesystem that Samsung used.

By the way, the latest leaked gingerbread ROM is very, very nice. My 15-year-old Niece had a Captivate that she hated up and down because it just wasn't working at all for her. Slow, random reboots, etc etc. Well, she never updated the thing. Ever. It was still on release-day stock firmware. I took it, loaded the latest gingerbread leak on it, and it's perfect.

I guess it all depends on how you use it.

Reactions: dougouk
Upvote 0
... By the way, the latest leaked gingerbread ROM is very, very nice. My 15-year-old Niece had a Captivate that she hated up and down because it just wasn't working at all for her. Slow, random reboots, etc etc. Well, she never updated the thing. Ever. It was still on release-day stock firmware. I took it, loaded the latest gingerbread leak on it, and it's perfect...

I wish I knew how to load "the latest gingerbread" as well...
There are so many different posts and tutorials for android gingerbread and all, that I don't know which one to follow and end up confused and not doing anything afraid of bricking my phone..

Do know a FAQ or some link that has everything simply compiled into one post?

Reactions: Pema108
Upvote 0
Reactions: dougouk
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones