• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

regular mobile games on G1?

robsclone

Dec 17, 2008
I know that Android runs Java, though it's a funky Java that needs to be compiled especially for the platform; does this mean that all of the basic mobile applications to buy out there will Not work on Android platform, and G1?

Browsing EA's mobile site, the only titles they show as available for G1 is like Monopoly and something else.

Is this true? Do i finally have a cool phone and nothing to run on it?

Yes, "regular" mobile phone games written for the J2ME platform will not work.
As you mentioned yourself the underlying architecture of J2ME and Android is not the same. They run in different types of VMs.

The one thing the plattforms have in common is that the SDK language is Java. Also if you are comfortable with programming on one platform you can easally adapt to the other.
In fact with not so much effort and using for ex. preprocessing you can create apps using the same codebase + platform speciffics in the same project. As a result of this you can release the same game on both J2ME and Android at once.

Don't worry, the big game vendors will do so soon and you won't miss out on the new games...;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones