• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Reinserting SD card destroys playlists

mirajai

Lurker
Aug 16, 2012
Hi!

Question:
It turns out that removing and re-inserting the microSD-card causes the standard music player to remove all microSD-stored songs from its playlists. This applies even though no files are touched.

What do you guys do about it, or what would you do? And is it a known bug/feature request?

Background / why is it a problem:
It is insanely annoying, because I frequently need to remove the card, and every time my playlists are destroyed.

In case someone is wondering WHY I am removing the microSD-card: I do it in order to place it in my computer's memory card reader. In this way, I can better manage my music library. This is because I get direct access to the music files, which allows me to use a huge array of music and file management tools. These tools include mp3 tagging, sorting, rating, beats per minute counting, auto-rename and a ton of other stuff. Most importantly, I have been using them forever, so switching to other tools is definitely not what I want.

Also, I tried to just connect the SGS3 to my computer using a USB cable, but this turns out to give access to the music files via MTP, which is only supported by a minute number of tools (such as Windows Media Player). MTP is useless in the remaining 99% of computer programs.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones