1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

reinstalled apps remember old profiles?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by nobodys_fool, Feb 12, 2011.

1. nobodys_fool

nobodys_fool Lurker

Hey all,

A friend of mine recently installed an app and created his own profile on it. I decided that I wanted to use this app as well, so I deleted it, then reinstalled it, but it still comes up with his profile!

So my question is, how do I get my phone to install the app as if it has never been on the phone before?

I've got a Galaxy S, froyo :)

Cheers!!

Advertisement

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > *Go to the app and select* > Clear data

3. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?

If that doesnt work, check the SD card for a folder with the apps name and see if it left anything in there.

Usually prefs are cleared when uninstalling I thought, but dunno...

4. nobodys_fool

nobodys_fool Lurker

cheers guys,

ive tried both your suggestions, but still no good!! do apps not recognise smartphones, by IMEI or some other unique number/code to the phone?

5. alostpacket

It's possible -- it could be storing data on the internet and sending out an ID based on your IMEI, then receiving those preferences. It's a really odd way to develop an app/preferences/profiles though; But I have heard of stranger things. If it is doing that, it would need the follwoing two permissions (at least):

READ PHONE STATE AND IDENTITY
    FULL INTERNET ACCESS

I guess you could try blocking internet access from your router but letting it try to connect over WiFi when you install it and see if that helps, otherwise I don't know what to tell you other than factory reset, but that hardly seems like a fun idea for one bad app.

It could be something tied to your Google account too.

What permissions does the app ask for?

What kinds of things is it personalizing?

6. nobodys_fool

nobodys_fool Lurker

Thanks alostpacket.

it has access to:
    my location (fine gps location)

Network communication (full internet access)

Phone calls (read phone state)

Network communication (view network state)

Hardware controls (control vibrator)

Ive tried clearing the cache and data, deleted the app and its file on the SD card. Then I turned the phone off and back on, then reinstalled the app from my computer using a usb cable, but it STILL remembers my personal info (profile picture etc)!!!

If it helps, its a chat app.

what about changing the proxy address?

7. alostpacket

I really dunno what else to tell ya, sounds like it stored your pic somehow. Maybe try emailing the dev.