• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reinstalling Android 2.2 Froyo (HTC Desire HD)

Nuker

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
Hello guys! I am Nuker and I am completely new to Android (just got my HTC Desire HD with Android 2.2).

I have a little question for you and I hope that you can help me in a way or another. I bought my phone over the internet and it actually is the Asian version. It has the Asian version of Android 2.2 on it, I think (at languages, I only have English(Singapore), English(Malayesia), English(Vietnam), etc.). The MENU and everything are in English, but I would like to reinstall the OS (Android 2.2 Froyo) and get an International Version on my phone (with languages like French, English(US/UK), etc.). Can I do this? Can you guys help me? I know that I might have to "erase" all the data on the phone right now, but I don't care, because it's actually brand new (I just downloaded 2 apps to test it out...).

Also, if it would be possible, I would also want to ROOT and put the Android 2.2 (or 2.3? as I read is the new one but I don't know if it's released yet) on my phone. (I think that I can also root the phone since I want to reinstall the OS... but you should tell me better what to do :s).

Please help me with this... :) I am willing to follow any constructive directions :)

Thank you so much guys,
Nuker

This is the problem I'm having also. I've got an Arabic version of the DHD, and HTC just sent me an 'Update' that forced Arabic all over my phone, and I can't turn it off.

The only information I can find is on how great it is now that the phone displays arabic properly... nothing on how to uninstall the update. I would prefer to roll back, but if not I'd love to be able to reformat and install the UK or USA version of Android 2.2

Eagerly awaiting any assistance, and thank you in advance, Rubix.

Upvote 0
In the end, I tried installing different Roms and Radios.
If you're a new user: don't worry, it gets easier the more you read.

If you're looking for an answer to this question, you've sort-of come to the right place.

I couldn't find a way to change the language defaults from English (randomCountry) to English (US) etc (yet); although there is an app that can do this, it won't fix the number of emails awaiting you from being in the native language-font (and the round battery widget the same, etc.).

What DID work was downgrading the phone to 1.32 ( How to- Root HTC DESIRE HD – included Downgrade from 1.72.405.3 to 1.32 | iGyaan.in ), turning radio S-off etc, and installing the Android Revolution HD rom ( [ROM] Android Revolution HD 2.0.9 | High Quality & Performance | O/C | Sense/no-Sense - xda-developers ). I can now pick from a more acceptable range of languages.

I'll get back to you when I work out how to do this from the default settings...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones