1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Relationship between kernel voltage and CPU temps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by imjehh, Mar 1, 2011.

1. imjehh

imjehh Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    It might be a dumb question, but would a Ultra low voltage kernel yield lower CPU temps than a medium voltage kernel, when texting/surfing the web?

I constantly go up to about 90F from a 75F idle, when only sending a few texts. Im wondering if it has something to do with the voltage of the kernel, because my ultimate goal is to run a cool CPU/battery temp. Any info or suggestions would be great

Advertisement

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Theoretically, yes.

In practice, YMMV. I've always had better results with LV vs ULV kernels for some odd reason, although now, on CM7 nightly builds, I am forcing my DROID to run at 1000 MHz at a vsel=60 (whereas 'stock' is vsel=74, IIRC) using the Milestone Overclock app (since I am on CM7 nightly, using a default kernel, I have to use the modified MSOC by prime). It is a bit cooler than previously, but if I try a similar value differential / percentage differential on other clocks (1100, 800) my phone will not boot.

So, I suppose that the hardware itself may also play a factor.

3. imjehh

imjehh Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    ^thanks. I still have a lot to learn about the root/ROM world, because a lot of that was foreign haha :) but your main points so make sense, hardware has a lot to do with it. Ill keep trying uLv and Lv kernels to see which yields the lowest temps. Thanks again for giving me motivation!

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Believe it or not, I am pretty positive that I asked the very same question about a year ago, just a few months after rooting my own DROID. I could never get the original generation ULV kernels to work, and I found that when I finally found a few sets that would, that the temps were barely different, the battery was barely different....so I stuck with the tried, tested and true Chevy's 1200 MHz LV kernels for a long time on Eclair.

Froyo brought enough UI improvements that I dropped to 100 again, then to 1000, and I've stayed at 1000 since.

5. imjehh

imjehh Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    True, its good to know the questions i have arent too dumb then lol

I think i have similar results, if not higher temps on uLv. When i text/surf the web on uLv, the temps seem to climb faster and higher than on a Lv. Im thinking maybe not enough power is being supplied from the battery to the CPU? I really dont know, just a guess. Maybe its under-powering the phone. Either way, i found a Lv kernel that i like, so ill stick with it a while and keep an eye on temps.

When texting/surfing, my temps usually are at 89F-95F, do you see similar temps? I may be just worrying too much, but if you can let me know what a good temp to stay around is (in your opinion, i already googled this topic but havent got a general consensus) thatd be great!

6. imjehh

imjehh Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    Is it possible a uLv kernel yields higher CPU temps when texting/web, than a Lv kernel when doing the same activities?

7. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Why would it? Ultra-low voltages by nature produce less power, ergo less heat. If your Droid will run on ULV kernels, by all means, use them :)

8. imjehh

imjehh Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 19, 2010
    Seemed to me my droid had higher cpu temps with a uLv kernel than with a Lv..maybe it was just me, ill try the uLv again, now you have me wondering if it was just in my head lol