• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Release] BusyBox 1.17.1

ashketchum

Jun 8, 2010
Here is the latest version of busybox (1.17.2) that I compiled for my Milestone.

Download: busybox-1.17.2.zip

Installation:

1. Extract zip archive and copy the "busybox" file to sd card root and then unmount/eject/safely remove sd card from your pc and switch back to "Charge Only" mode. Then use ADB or Terminal Emulator to perform the following steps.

2. Become root by using the "su" command and mount /system partition as writable.

Code:
su

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

3. Copy the busybox file from sd card to /system/xbin/ and change permissions to 04755.

Code:
cp /sdcard/busybox /system/xbin/

chmod 04755 /system/xbin/busybox

4. (optional) Install busybox applets in /system/xbin so that commands like "grep" can be used directly without the "busybox" prefix. Most apps that use busybox usually execute the commands with the "busybox" prefix, like "busybox grep", so this step is not necessary if you are installing busybox only because its needed by some app. If the app doesn't detect busybox, even after you complete step 3, then this step is necessary.

Code:
/system/xbin/busybox --install /system/xbin/

5. Remount /system partition as read only after you are done with the above steps.

Code:
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mtdblock6 /system

Reactions: Beach_Head
Hehe! Sorry about that. I was able to issue cp commands before but right after re-flashing, re-rooting, and using your busybox, I lost it. Weird!

Even when I try busybox cp, I get an Illegal instruction message.

Any ideas? Could it be because I'm on Cupcake? I'm thinking that it shouldn't matter. Afte all, this was compiled for Android right?

Here's the previous version I was using: http://www.mediafire.com/?36mwikwzwnii42e

The version is 1.16.0 I think...

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones