• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Release Date?

Good God. Could we get some information already?? This is really killing me. I would just like a new phone that is LTE and isn't made by HTC. I would like to get the Revolution as I am starting to have Brand Loyality to LG as I have a few of their Televisions now. It seems like all the leaks have come to an abrupt halt! Seems like for the HTC TB there was new information daily and a lot of speculation but not much going on for the Revolution. We don't even have any of the "my brothers sisters cousins friend works at Best Buy and they said blah". Mr. Panda is hiding and not saying much. Where oh where is some new information??

I agree!!! I want so much not to have to buy an HTC phone again. I loved my LG Dare and I am excited that LG is making some high-end smart phones. In addition to the Revolution, the Optimus Black looks very nice - no word on that one whatsoever.

Upvote 0
I agree!!! I want so much not to have to buy an HTC phone again. I loved my LG Dare and I am excited that LG is making some high-end smart phones. In addition to the Revolution, the Optimus Black looks very nice - no word on that one whatsoever.

Yeah, I would love some information on the LG Optimus Black. Looks sweet although I don't see how they could squeeze a 4G radio in that slim body. However, I don't want to wait until summer or later either.

Just seems like everybody sold out on the Thunderbolt and not many people or not much hype left for anything else. I would have to think there is a large amount of people coming up for contract renewal that orginally signed a 2-year deal for the Original Droid. That was about 18 months ago wasn't it? I don't know if it is HTC's marketing department that gets all the hype up or what but we just seem to be in a dead time aside from Thunderbolt news.

Upvote 0
The thing is HTC earned the reputation of premium android phone manufacturer last year with phones like Nexus One, Incredible, Evo, MyTouch 4G. Though those phones had their share of issues like battery lfe, somewhat poor camera, people seem to like their design, build quality, Sense UI, etc.
On the other hand LG pretty much dropped ball on android smart-phones last year. They had only Ally on VZW early summer and then released much improved Optimus One series late Fall, but damage to their image was done already. They should have put out Optimus One (Vortex on VZW) first instead of Ally. They learned lesson too late that without high end phones they can't be a player in android world. So they started pushing hard on high end phone development since Fall last year and we are beginning to see fruits of that effort on phones like 2X, 3D, Black and this Revolution. It will take some time to recover from brand damage last year, but I'm sure that they can beat HTC sooner or later if they remain focused.

Upvote 0
The thing is HTC earned the reputation of premium android phone manufacturer last year with phones like Nexus One, Incredible, Evo, MyTouch 4G. Though those phones had their share of issues like battery lfe, somewhat poor camera, people seem to like their design, build quality, Sense UI, etc.
On the other hand LG pretty much dropped ball on android smart-phones last year. They had only Ally on VZW early summer and then released much improved Optimus One series late Fall, but damage to their image was done already. They should have put out Optimus One (Vortex on VZW) first instead of Ally. They learned lesson too late that without high end phones they can't be a player in android world. So they started pushing hard on high end phone development since Fall last year and we are beginning to see fruits of that effort on phones like 2X, 3D, Black and this Revolution. It will take some time to recover from brand damage last year, but I'm sure that they can beat HTC sooner or later if they remain focused.

Yeah, I am not all that concerned about LG's past phone mishaps. They definitely have a much improved hardware footprint with these new devices. I really wish they would just release the phone. I don't like the fact that HTC has a monopoly on LTE handsets. I am pretty much locked into Verizon and I would like to be able to compare 3-4 like high end LTE devices. It stinks right now that the only guy in town is the Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I am not all that concerned about LG's past phone mishaps. They definitely have a much improved hardware footprint with these new devices. I really wish they would just release the phone. I don't like the fact that HTC has a monopoly on LTE handsets. I am pretty much locked into Verizon and I would like to be able to compare 3-4 like high end LTE devices. It stinks right now that the only guy in town is the Thunderbolt.

I wish Sprint had a phone I wanted ...

Upvote 0
That's just GSM version of Evo 3D, known to be Pyramid for some time. But for me to consider any future HTC phones, they should prove two things.

1. Reasonable battery life: By this I mean leaving more than 20% of juice left after 16 hours under medium usage. Incredible, Evo had to spend most of time in standby to do this.

2. Bettery picture quality: Most samples I saw from Incredible, Evo are too noisy, grainy with dull colors.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Read the article. What does "testing" mean? Haven't then been testing long before this? Does it mean Verizon is just starting to test? Or are testers people who are testing it in the field as a last step before release?

How long after "testing" before a Verizon phone is typically released?

Berizon (Bing + Verizon) usually does quite a bit of field testing before they release a phone to the public, and the more photos and hands on experiences in the wild that surface, typically do constitute a decent sign that it's close to a release.

After having a Fascinate with BING, which is likely the main reason we are so freaking late getting official 2.2, Bing might be the nail in the coffin for this phone for being on my short list.

I was willing to overlook the lack of a dual core, and the fatness and bulk of the device, and the addition of an LTE radio I won't likely be able to use in the phone's lifespan.

But seriously ... BING? AGAIN? I mean, this is basically just a more attractive looking Thunderbolt that happens to have HDMI, which is a plus (although there's no guarantee Verizon won't somehow nerf that functionality. They tried on the Droid X.), but now it has Bing. I know we'll be able to get rid of it eventually thanks to the good developers, but I am having a really hard time wanting to support that absolute GARBAGE and Verizon's sick, twisted, ANTI-CUSTOMER partnership with an inferior search engine, which happens to be a COMPETITOR to the company making the damned OS for the phone ...

I so wanted this to be "THE PHONE" ... the more I learn about it, the more it's not "the phone" for me. The SGS2 on Berizon might have HDMI output and mirroring on it. I haven't been able to find REAL confirmation. There's lots of chatter, and many are convinced, but I need to see it to believe it:

Samsung Galaxy S II supports HDMI-out, after all, and can have live TV streamed to it - Phone Arena

And that's on the version that's not yet live in the U.S. and won't work on the carrier I'm currently stuck with.

This phone, for now, is OFF my short list. Too many shortcomings, especially when I compare it to what LG is releasing elsewhere. I sure hope Verizon doesn't do something to screw up the SGS2. I am fine waiting until September (latest rumored date) or even later for the SGS2. The Fascinate is so close to an ideal phone for me, but lacks a couple of things that I really wish it had. (being able to switch between audio and bluetooth without becoming a road hazard and having to physically pull the audio cable out of the jack while driving ... or simply ignore the call AND some kind of video output.)

Upvote 0
What are the "latest and greatest" LG phones referred to in the article?

Can Bing be removed? If not why is it bad?

I am sure the "Latest and Greatest" is referring to the 2x or the T-Mobile variant the G2X, which is dual-core. The only announced state-side of this device is the T-Mobile version. The 2x is so far a European phone only.

Bing can be removed once you have root access. So, if you are not interested in rooting your phone, then it can't be removed.

Upvote 0
I am sure the "Latest and Greatest" is referring to the 2x or the T-Mobile variant the G2X, which is dual-core. The only announced state-side of this device is the T-Mobile version. The 2x is so far a European phone only.

Bing can be removed once you have root access. So, if you are not interested in rooting your phone, then it can't be removed.

This is correct. You can somewhat "cover up" Bing by installing a third party launcher and Google's enhanced search .apk file. To completely remove Bing, however, you must root. I'm also referring to the Optimus black. It's a very sleek device with an exceptional screen. I would consider that an option if it were on Verizon as well, as it's not nearly as bulky as most modern Android phones.

LG Optimus Black specs - Phone Arena

It even reportedly has HDMI output. This thing has the most excellent form factor EVER but it looks to be only GSM. Grrr....

Upvote 0
This is correct. You can somewhat "cover up" Bing by installing a third party launcher and Google's enhanced search .apk file. To completely remove Bing, however, you must root. I'm also referring to the Optimus black. It's a very sleek device with an exceptional screen. I would consider that an option if it were on Verizon as well, as it's not nearly as bulky as most modern Android phones.

LG Optimus Black specs - Phone Arena

It even reportedly has HDMI output. This thing has the most excellent form factor EVER but it looks to be only GSM. Grrr....

Yeah, the Black could be interesting, just not sure that size would hold up with an LTE radio in it. Seems like that is what is adding bulk to the newer devices (I am sure a combination of battery to run the LTE radio and the LTE radio itself). Maybe newer manufacturing processes can shrink the die of the radio. Might be to early in the game though. Same is true of the SGS2. I would think if Verizon gets a variant, it would be thicker than the Euro model.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what LG phone the article is referring to. But in my view, the latest and greatest LG is Optimus 3D which will be LG Thrill 4G on AT&T in summer. It's dual core beast with powerful OMAP4 processor, dual channel memory. Too bad that Verizon is not getting LG phone like this.

Regarding the Bing issue, I thought we already went through enough of it back when Fascinate came with it. I knew Revolution will have it at least since MWC in February from the preview images, videos. I think even CES demo images show that. So it's surprising that it's hotly debated again here. Not that I like it. I don't like Bing either. But I was under assumption that replacing it with Google is non-issue to most of us on this forum.

Upvote 0
It's probably both. Not sure how easy it will be on Revolution as compared to Fascinate though. But I doubt it will be harder.

You still can't completely get rid of it and its background processes that will continue to hog resources without rooting. Even if you cover it up with the google search .apk file, it's still there, and that's still extra steps the average user shouldn't have to make in order to use freaking GOOGLE on their blithering GOOGLE PHONE.

Upvote 0
You still can't completely get rid of it and its background processes that will continue to hog resources without rooting. Even if you cover it up with the google search .apk file, it's still there, and that's still extra steps the average user shouldn't have to make in order to use freaking GOOGLE on their blithering GOOGLE PHONE.

That's true. It will be still in the background without rooting ROM. But I think snapdragon 8655 (one of the fastest single core to date) has more than enough power to handle that extra load.
I don't like it either, but I think Verizon and Microsoft are to be blamed for this.

Upvote 0
That's true. It will be still in the background without rooting ROM. But I think snapdragon 8655 (one of the fastest single core to date) has more than enough power to handle that extra load.
I don't like it either, but I think Verizon and Microsoft are to be blamed for this.

You're exactly right. That's why I'm calling them "Berizon" instead of Verizon. They are not longer the Verizon I grew to love and admire. They have become something else today.

Upvote 0
If you're a sense fan, for sure, but remember the LG is getting the same class leading processor, the same great GPU, but will have more stock android and the already mentioned HDMI port. Honestly, the simple lack of the HDMI on the thunderbolt when its buddy, the EVO on sprint has it, is disheartening. I rather like HTC, even after owning a few Erises.

Plus the Rev has an additional video decoding chip to achieve the hidef and better coded support.

Upvote 0
Though getting Bing on phone is not something pleasant for any android fans, it's not as bad as having locked boot loader plus heavy Motobulr UI like Motorola phones. Other than Bing LG doesn't have heavy UI skin like Motobulr, TouchWiz, Sense. T-mobile G2x just released is kind of ideal LG phone with stock android. If Verizon gets phone like this, I will jump onto it without second thought. There are even rumors that Google is working with LG for Nexus tablet and Nexus 3 phone toward end of this year, though I'm not 100% into it yet.

Upvote 0
Though getting Bing on phone is not something pleasant for any android fans, it's not as bad as having locked boot loader plus heavy Motobulr UI like Motorola phones. Other than Bing LG doesn't have heavy UI skin like Motobulr, TouchWiz, Sense. T-mobile G2x just released is kind of ideal LG phone with stock android. If Verizon gets phone like this, I will jump onto it without second thought. There are even rumors that Google is working with LG for Nexus tablet and Nexus 3 phone toward end of this year, though I'm not 100% into it yet.

It will still have a skin over it. I've heard like you have that it's lighter weight than blur or touchwiz, but it's still a skin. And if you have the knowhow to get rid of Bing completely on your LG phone, it's not much of a stretch to be rid of touchwiz on samsungs, such as the Galaxy S series.

I do NOT want to support Bing, nor Verizon's anti-consumer slinging of it upon mobile devices for some petty cash. I'd rather make a more appealing product and SELL MORE and make my money that way than make my money by backdoor partnerships. I fault Verizon more than Microsoft for this. Of course I would want my search engine - inferior or not - on popular phones on the nation's (currently) largest cellular network.

Upvote 0
It will still have a skin over it. I've heard like you have that it's lighter weight than blur or touchwiz, but it's still a skin. And if you have the knowhow to get rid of Bing completely on your LG phone, it's not much of a stretch to be rid of touchwiz on samsungs, such as the Galaxy S series.

I do NOT want to support Bing, nor Verizon's anti-consumer slinging of it upon mobile devices for some petty cash. I'd rather make a more appealing product and SELL MORE and make my money that way than make my money by backdoor partnerships. I fault Verizon more than Microsoft for this. Of course I would want my search engine - inferior or not - on popular phones on the nation's (currently) largest cellular network.

Fair enough. But even the Bing thing doesn't stop me from liking LG phones. :)
Will see how Revolution plays out in display, speed, signal reception, battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones