• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [RELEASE] Ubuntu for (inside of) SCH-I500

NOTES:

• Please don't try this if you can't follow directions or are completely new to command line/linux/android/smartphones/technology
  • This version of Karmic (9.10) Ubuntu was made for desktops. It is not a mobile OS and has no phone/text apps. It runs as a completely separate OS that displays on your phone.
  • While this OS does run "natively", you can only see the lxde gui through a VNC viewer. The filesystem file stays on your sd card.
  • Installing with the install script does not fully install the OS to your phone, but rather allows you to boot and run with commands from /system/bin instead of the ones placed in /sdcard/ubuntu
  • Any changes made can be reversed by typing rm -rf /sdcard/ubuntu in a shell/terminal or deleting that folder from root explorer/astro. While this can do no harm to your phone whatsoever, it can freeze it and hog the cpu completely.
  • I can guarantee that no one will keep this on his/her phone for more than a week. It is simply proof of concept.
  • You can view the OS on your computer, but you must use WiFi.
  • Other similar ports *cough* Vibrant *cough* lack features such as many graphical apps, but this strives to be as fully featured as possible. All apps should run, but don't try to multitask. It's a phone. Not a computer.
  • This is a thinktank because it's not polished enough for me to flat out call it a release. There are many errors and crappy ways of doing things. If you want to help (I don't expect you to; it's futile and useless) run things from terminal and look at the bugs in the README on the desktop.

All directions and credits are hardcoded in. If you read the outputs of the commands, you will have no problem. However, a starter's guide is below.

1. Download ubuntu.zip and unzip it
  2. Mount your sd card to your computer
  3. Copy the ubuntu folder to your sd card *!THIS TAKES UP 2 GIGABYTES!* and it will take a while to copy.
  4. Unmount your sd card, but keep your phone connected to your computer
  5. Open an adb shell (adb shell if you have the binaries installed, ./adb shell in the tools folder of the sdk if you don't have them installed)
  6. cd /sdcard/ubuntu
  7. su (also grant superuser rights on the phone when it pops up)
  8. sh ./ubuntu.sh (errors are common, but you will receive the directions to type 'bootlinux' if everything succeeded)
  9. bootlinux
  10. Follow the directions on screen! To use a command line, root@localhost# means that you have access. To use a gui:
  11. cat gui (and then follow the directions)
  12. Read every readme that you can find

cat gui will give you instructions on how to set up a localhost VNC server with no network lag.

DOWNLOAD:

Please visit xda-developers for the download
[TT/RELEASE] Ubuntu for (inside of) SCH-I500 - xda-developers

Screenshots!

rn6Sr.png

WiUYV.png

MXk1j.png

Reactions: saps

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones