• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

I was all hyped up by the prospect of 4g until I took a look at the coverage zones. Unless you are one of the few large cities you are SOL on the 4g network. If you are in the 4g zone chances are you can find a wifi hookup anyway. They have a long way to go on the 4g network. If there is no extra charge for the 4g phone coverage I might consider an upgrade from my droid but if they add a red cent....forgeddaboutit.

Upvote 0
I was all hyped up by the prospect of 4g until I took a look at the coverage zones. Unless you are one of the few large cities you are SOL on the 4g network. If you are in the 4g zone chances are you can find a wifi hookup anyway. They have a long way to go on the 4g network. If there is no extra charge for the 4g phone coverage I might consider an upgrade from my droid but if they add a red cent....forgeddaboutit.

This isn't anything new. All carriers have the same issue. It was the same way for 3g coverage at launch. If you are not in a 4g initial launch area, then I would wait it out unless you have some crap phone. I am in a 4g coverage area so I will be getting a first batch phone. Right now LTE only covers 38 markets. They are supposed to have a lot more market through out 2011 and 2012.

Upvote 0
In my home and my work which are the northern suburbs of Detroit, we already have 4G LTE, so I've been really interested in picking up a 4G device. I also travel to Florida quite often and the have LTE in the areas I go to down there as well. I'm really leaning on picking up the TB because I'd like to be able to root so I could do free wireless tether like I have on my DINC right now. Unfortunately, the tech geek in me is getting a little bored with Android and sense and I'm thinking about switching to the iphone on Verizon just to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I'll just buy both and keep whatever one I like better.

Upvote 0
In my home and my work which are the northern suburbs of Detroit, we already have 4G LTE, so I've been really interested in picking up a 4G device. I also travel to Florida quite often and the have LTE in the areas I go to down there as well. I'm really leaning on picking up the TB because I'd like to be able to root so I could do free wireless tether like I have on my DINC right now. Unfortunately, the tech geek in me is getting a little bored with Android and sense and I'm thinking about switching to the iphone on Verizon just to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I'll just buy both and keep whatever one I like better.

I left At&t and the iPhone because it was boring LOL

Upvote 0
If I am correct his original time frame was 3/17-ish so pushed up still means extremely late February or early March.... that sucks. I'm so sick of my little POS flip phone. xD Anyone else have a different date that he posted?

I am reading it as EARLIER? If later, would it mean push backed?

From that tweet it makes sense, along with "we are releasing earlier, but expect a software update...."
:thinking: :D

Upvote 0
Bad news for those on the fence about the Bionic

Motorola confirms that locked bootloaders aren't going anywhere | PhoneDog

Something I also found out, the Revolution is using the same processor as the Thunderbolt, and from what I understand the Sammy is using the same as in their Galaxy S line, so the only one with newer cpu tech is the Moto, and they are modifying the android software to accomodate the dual-core processor. Given their previous attemps at modifying Android (Blur) I think this cinches the TB for me.

Upvote 0
That is from yesterday afternoon, they have since change their opinion/apologized etc.

Motorola Apologizes For PR Gaffe, Promises Better Bootloader Policy | Android Phone Fans

not to get off topic but I'll believe that crap when I see it! I think its a load of bull to try to save face.
After owning an X and seeing what they were doing (changing keys and crap on updates so you couldnt sbf back to an older one... closing more and more root exploits with each update... that kind of stuff) I dont think they will suddenly do an about face and start unlocking it again.
I'm willing to bet the bionic will be locked down harder then the X... which mind you STILL has a locked bootloader.... have we gotten around that? yeah sure, some... enough that I can enjoy my phone on ApeX... does it still suck to deal with though? eh...
we can still sbf so anything IM going to mess with I should be able to recover from, we still have root, and still can flash "roms" but we also know that phone COULD do more...
anyway... I dont buy a thing they say about unlocking their phones... atleast not until I see it

Upvote 0
That is from yesterday afternoon, they have since change their opinion/apologized etc.

Motorola Apologizes For PR Gaffe, Promises Better Bootloader Policy | Android Phone Fans

Actually from what I read the reason for the retraction is the tone they first responded with, something to the effect of "if you want an unlocked bootloader go somewhere else". They said in their apology that they were going to work closely with their partners. They went onto say that they wanted to make it a platform for developers, but I don't think that means that they're embracing custom ROMs. I think the apology was to head off sending potential customers to manufacturers who are more mod friendly.

Upvote 0
Actually from what I read the reason for the retraction is the tone they first responded with, something to the effect of "if you want an unlocked bootloader go somewhere else". They said in their apology that they were going to work closely with their partners. They went onto say that they wanted to make it a platform for developers, but I don't think that means that they're embracing custom ROMs. I think the apology was to head off sending potential customers to manufacturers who are more mod friendly.

Actually :D I was just updating your article with a newer one (one you posted was from yesterday afternoon). My post was more of an update, I do not think the article said they were going to ALLOW bootloaders - nor did I.

Reactions: vzwuser76
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones