• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[RELEASED] The 4.3 inch "Thunderbolt" aka "Mecha" aka "Incredible HD" from HTC...beyond coming soon!

Don't know if this scales to the Bolt or not - on our Evo Shift, it's just left with GPS, wifi and 3G constantly on. Unlike the Evo, those just don't seem to be big deal-breakers on the battery.

Still expect the big screen to chew power, especially if set bright or auto-brightness.

I hate auto bright, always messes with my eyes. I usually have the brightness on about 50%. I know thats bad, but the Inc screen is sooo pretty. lol :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to adjust any settings there. Are you familiar with the stock Android "Power Control" widget ? Add it a home screen. It's easy access to turn off network settings such as Wi-Fi, mobile radio, GPS, etc.

Just have the 3G radio always turned off unless you need it while out and about. I use mine very little cause I have Wi-Fi at home & work, and a short commute. Same for GPS; make sure it's off unless you need it at the moment. Those will both boost battery time.

Ok, my Inc battery just sucks, literally and figuratively. Under Wireless & Networks, what should my setting be for max battery life? I hope the TB battery issues were solved (if there were any to solve that is).

Really getting off topic here, but I will reply so anyone interested can see how mine is setup. Do not reply after this as we are getting off topic. PM me directly for questions.

I do NOT turn of 3g. Wifi will do that for you. When Wifi is active and connected, 3G is automatically turned off. You can send and receive texts and phone calls over 1X and Wifi takes care of all data.

Settings>Wireless networks>Wifi Settings>Menu>Advanced>Wifi Sleep Policy>NEVER

What does this do? The wifi NEVER turns off. 3G pulls MORE battery than Wifi. It is completely okay to leave wifi on all the time. Trust me ;) Also whenever you are NOT connected you will get a broken wifi icon in the notification bar or when a new wifi network is available. I turn mine off. Settings>Wireless networks>Wifi Settings>Network notification (uncheck).

Now if your driving in a car for 4 hrs, then use the wifi widget as mentioned to disable wifi. Other than that I have not turned wifi off in about 8 months. Keep in mind, this should really only be done if you are around wifi at home and work and have a poor 3G signal were the 3G is literally up and down and up and down. 3G pulls more battery than Wifi.

And use Auto brightness. :)

Upvote 0
No. I got your point. And I agree with you that it shouldn't be long now. I was just puzzling about whether the TB was losing google navigation. Who would buy VZ navigator at $10 a month?

I believe the VZ navigator has some features that google navigation doesn't... I don't know because I don't use it, but there are other navigation apps out there that are in the neighborhood of 10.00, some are even more.

Google navigation does everything I need it too, so I don't need a paid app, some people might though.

Upvote 0
The TBolt certainly has the Qualcomm 8x55 SoC, which appears to be the last generation of single core they will do. The MSM8x60 will be HTC's first dual core entry, clocked at 1.2 GHz. Sampling of the MSM8x60 got to companies like HTC last summer, and it generally takes about 1 year until you see those new SoC in devices for sale... so late summer or fall 2011.

The SoC in our Thunderbolt went from Qualcomm to HTC spring of 2010. As a comparison, the QSD8650 SoC found in the HTC Evo, went from Qualcomm to HTC a year (or little more) before the SoC in our TBolts. They are very much not the same processor, performance, etc. EVO also has the Adreno 200 GPU instead of the 205 in the TBolt.

Reactions: dbgoolsby
Upvote 0
The TBolt certainly has the Qualcomm 8x55 SoC, which appears to be the last generation of single core they will do. The MSM8x60 will be HTC's first dual core entry, clocked at 1.2 GHz. Sampling of the MSM8x60 got to companies like HTC last summer, and it generally takes about 1 year until you see those new SoC in devices for sale... so late summer or fall 2011.

The SoC in our Thunderbolt went from Qualcomm to HTC spring of 2010. As a comparison, the QSD8650 SoC found in the HTC Evo, went from Qualcomm to HTC a year (or little more) before the SoC in our TBolts. They are very much not the same processor, performance, etc. EVO also has the Adreno 200 GPU instead of the 205 in the TBolt.

Thanks for the info. Have they named the phone that will have this qualcomm dual core cpu yet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones