• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Reliabilty & other questions

imgrumpy

Lurker
Jun 7, 2010
Hi newbie here.
I 'had' a desire - for a whole 3 days. Then it stopped booting ( white 'HTC' screen ) or boot looped when in 'safe mode' . Spoke to HTC, tried factory reset - they told me to take it back to the shop. I got a refund - the iphone was announced the same day and now I'm in two minds!

So, was I just unlucky or is the desire not very reliable? The iphone's I've used seem to be much more solidly made.

For the short period I had it I was a little concerned by the inability to back up the apps & stuff externally. I just sort of assumed that I would be using my PC to get apps and stuff and then transfer to the desire - just like itunes. Now, I know itunes is not too popular here (!:rolleyes:) but the fact that all my purchases are held on my pc too makes me more comfortable. So

1) Is there any way that the desire can store all it's stuff in a similar way?
2) Now my phone's ( & mem card ) gone have I lost the apps I bought?
3) Can I only by Apps from market via the phone itself?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm not sure whether I want another desire now. I really like the interface but I'm not sure that the overall package is 'friendly' enough. The iphone just looks more polished.

thanks.

I use astro file manger to back up my apps that are installed. It stores the .apk file in a folder called backups. I can then store these on my pc. This may have limitations to purchased apps though.

You can also get apps through a website called appbrain.

Not sure about if theyre lost or not. I would expect the market to store purchase details against your gmail account but not certain.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys,

I'm a little fed up that the purchased apps have probably gone. Sort of sums up what I feel are the shortcomings of the desire - it does loads and loads but it's not always been thought through as completely as it should.

I think I might get an iphone4.

Maybe in a year or so I'll come back to android It's got the potential to be world beating - it just needs to stop being the 'geeky' option ( or that's the perception ). Most of the time I ( and probably loads of others ) just want something that works!

I too share the concerns about Apple's 'control' . I feel that Android could do with a little of it though. Just a little.

cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones