1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Remap Hardware Keys

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by benwalburn, Dec 22, 2012.

1. benwalburn

benwalburn Android Enthusiast

I've been experimenting with remaping keys. First, I wanted to trade home with its long-press function, but I couldn't find anything on that. So I decided to switch Search with Recent Apps and it works, kind of. Instead of bringing up the recent apps you find with a long-press of home, you get the Gingerbread style of recent apps. Apparently, this is an issue that can be remedied by modifiying android.policy.jar, as shown here. But it seems that the Sense android.policy.jar is completely different, so I don't know what to change.

And in case anyone's wondering why I don't just use the recent apps in the notification drawer, it's because certain apps don't reopen correctly from that method.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chiikko561

chiikko561 Well-Known Member

That would be nice do you have link to remap buttons guide

3. benwalburn

Basic remapping can be done by modifying the files in /system/usr/keylayout. I'm not sure exactly what needs to be changed for this phone, so I replaced all the SEARCH with APP_SWITCH to make the search key launch gingerbread style recent apps.

you can also use the link in the op

4. braxton355

braxton355 Android Enthusiast

Why not just copy the key layout file from an already mapped Rom.

5. benwalburn

Because the effort of finding a rom with the exact code I need, downloading it, extracting the keylayout file,and pushing it to my phone exceeds the effort of editing a text file already on my phone

6. braxton355

braxton355 Android Enthusiast

Haha just a thought.

HTC EVO Design Forum

The HTC EVO Design release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews