1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Remap keyboard

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rice, Aug 26, 2011.

1. rice

rice Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2009
    Now when its rooted, is there an app to remap the physical buttons?

EDIT: Found the answer, which involves hex editor and root explorer

Advertisement

2. bishop0114

bishop0114 Member
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    It would be great if we could change the long press behavior to automatically enter the alternate key.

3. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    a lifehacker
    Southern California
    Would you mind posting for others to mess with. I personally dont use the keyboard, im a swyper addict, but im sure other will want to poke around.

4. rice

rice Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2009
    Yea of course, here it is...an updated version, orginally from swedroid forum for the milestone 2.

1. Root phone

2. Download a hex editor, for example: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...vi32/xvi32.htm

3. Download root explorer app for android

4. Open root explorer and go to the following path: system/usr/keychars
    In one of these .bin files there is a description with "->" sign, copy the file that is written after the "->" (in my case cdma_solana-keypad.kcm.bin) and paste it into the sd-card.

5. Connect to PC, make a copy of the .bin file copied to sd card. And open it with the hex editor.

6. On the right side you'll se a lot of characters, often grouped together 6 chars. For example 0 0 0 0 0 0 for the 0-button.
    To change the single button click, change the character on the third position.
    For the shift + button click, change the fourth position
    For the alt + button click, change the fifth position.

As for the other positions, I've no idea what they are for.
    For example if I want to change 0 ( 0 0 0 0 0 0 ) to write 'a' for singel, 'b' for shift and 'c' for alt then i would change it as follows: (0 0 a b c 0)

7. Save the file to sd card and open root explorer, go to sd card directory and copy the bin, go back to system/usr/keychars and press the grey box in top to r/w mode. Paste in file, change back to read only r/o mode and reboot phone.

8. Tada, now it should work

5. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Is there any way to hex edit in a long press action? This is pretty easy to do once you get the window set to the right width so each character is on it's own line. :p

EDIT: Also, could I change the ALT + backspace so it doesn't erase the whole message? I've done this enough to make it annoying.

2nd EDIT: Well, the hex code for delete is 7F...but it's no where to be found in the keyboard hex. Backspace is 08, but only found in a single location. Does this mean there is no option for a SHIFT or ALT function? It's also highly possible I have no idea what I'm doing.

6. rice

rice Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2009
    I think that long press action is mapped to the character itself, so its probably stored under keylayout. But im not sure...

Alt + backspace that would be wonderful, but I dont know how to do that...

Another thing i noticed, the soft keyboard changes aswell :/