1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Remember when the Note series was the Flagship? - Galaxy Note7

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nakim, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Nakim

Nakim Lurker
    None

Sep 18, 2016
    I love the Note 7, admittedly. I particularly like the improved interoperability between devices; for example, streaming video straight to my 60" smart TV, without the need for any dongles or cables, is an enormous step forward. (On my Note 4, that usually didn't work, even WITH dongles, cables, and set top boxes.)

But let's face it: the Note 7 is an S7 with a stylus.

Samsung marketing for the Note 7 claims it's a tool, not a toy. I've been saying that about the Note series for years. Funny that now Samsung has made that an official marketing approach, they've substantially walked back the capabilities of the series. I wouldn't call it a toy. But I wouldn't say it's all business either. In fact, Samsung has ceded a number of industry-leading features to Apple.

Build quality, camera, IR, and removable battery, primarily.

I'm not sure how we arrived at the point where an all glass enclosure around a sealed battery is considered upscale. The enclosure is less durable than previous flagships, and even without exploding batteries, a non-removable battery isn't exactly a businessman's dream come true. Try taking a transoceanic flight, then trying to use your phone upon arrival. (Yes, I have an external power pack, and no, I don't want to be tethered to it. Let me switch out my battery in peace, thank you.) And of course, batteries have much shorter lives than phones.

Every Android blog on the planet assured us the S7/ Note 7 camera was the best in the world. Horse hockey. While I agree the firmware is vastly improved, the hardware, frankly, is a huge step backward, and is last year's sensor. Yes yes, I know, pixel-count-isn't-everything. But try editing identical shots taken with the Note 7 & Note 4, and you'll see the Note 7 images fall apart immediately. The sensor on the Note 4 blows away that of the Note 7. The latest greatest flagship from Samsung now has a camera as bad as that of last year's iPhone 6. I can't believe this is good business strategy.

I've been a power user of the IR blaster for years, and its discontinuation is a huge inconvenience. I can no longer use the phone as a universal remote. Why?

Every item I've listed is a feature where Samsung once clearly lead Apple. It's like they're on a mission to adopt every weakness of Apple design.

Hey Samsung, if you're reading this, how about making the next Note a true flagship, clearly distinguishable from the rest of your product line? How about a decent camera sensor, decent audio, including speakers and DAC, and premium connectivity? How about giving us functionality over form?-- we didn't ask for a glass phone, and we use a case anyway, so why not let us switch our batteries? Why not appeal to those of us that have told you, through our loyalty to the Note series, that we expect pro specs, for pro users, and we're ALREADY paying a premium price? Why don't you look at who your Note users are, and build accordingly? I'm pretty sure a number of iPhone users are looking to defect; it's too bad you've walked back your design sensibilities to Apple levels, instead of the comfortable industry lead you once enjoyed.

Advertisement

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Android Expert

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    Well Nakim I agree with you completely on the glass back/non-removable battery taking the Note from a business man's joy to a business man's toy. Samsung really took the tool aspect out of the Note series with that move.

I didn't get a Note this year but my HTC 10 came without an infrared blaster and as much as I thought I'd miss it I really don't. Having Infinity/Comcast cable at home I can change all the channels on all the TVs in my house from 1 room. The only things I can't do is turn them on or change the volume.

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    I suppose you could say that the Note 7 isn't so much a flagship as it is a firetruck?

AZgl1500 likes this.
  4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    To me, this all proves what I have admonished from the beginning.

IF a phone does NOT have a removable battery, it is "junk", and I will NOT buy it...

5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!

Nov 17, 2009
    Male
    I'm retired: every day's a Monday :P
    Manchester, TN
    Problem is that more and more phone manufacturers and models are switching away from removable batteries. I don't know how much longer you're going to have the freedom of options...

Samsung Galaxy Note 7

The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 was launched in 2016, before subsequently being removed from production over battery issues.